Black Myth Wukong

Aazrael

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Stop liking this game! Game journos said the studio is evil!

On another note, anyone know what the difficulty is on this one? Dark Soulish or easier?

Blueweed

the game is very chinese in that they are squeezing alot of folklore, deities, gods into the narrative and hence all those many boss fights. And naturally the Monkey God was choosen because he is that rebellious god that wants to beat up everyone in his way.

Interestingly, this game is launched right in the middle of chinese halloween, 'the hungry ghost month'. The chinese takes this seriously with offerings to ancestors and deities alike and will burn 'hell paper money' for passage and prosperity. Also that little helpful old dude you come across in chap1 needs a simple offering the ground you plan your offering or he will tell you to gtfo

CaughtCross

Vyemm Raider
Jesus fuck, over 2m people playing this? Fucking Chinese communists been starving for something like this it seems.

Game devs were trying to make games for blue hairs who wont really play games when they should have been making games for the Chinese.

• 2Like
  • 1Solidarity
  • 1Worf
Reactions: 3 users

spronk

FPS noob
will depend on how well Star Wars Outlaws, Dragon Age, and Assassins Creed Shadows do this fall. All likely have a lot of blue hair meddling in them.

it doesn't effect really console companies much since there are basically no gaming consoles in China, just gaming PC and mobile gaming. So Sony isn't going to change fuck all about its retarded games.

Assuming Outlaws/Shadows/Dragon Age bomb, and there isn't any real reason to assume they won't, then yeah I could maybe see companies finally realizing gamers just wanna buy games with normal guys and not fat gay black chicks in it.

Anyways Wukong is over 2.1m CCU on steam now, already beaten Palworld for top of 2024 and it could still beat CS:Go (3.7m highest ever) over the weekend. The owners are still like 75% chinese for now but steam users are all about FOMO so them seeing everyone else buying this is gonna get a lot of people to buy this game this weekend.

Blueweed

expect alot more chinese to join the wagon for the gameplay because many of them feels the monkey and the deities depicted are very old style folklore that is just...not...cool. I mean many chinese household have the deities displayed right in their living room so its odd to play such a game.

• 1Seriously?
Reactions: 1 user

Cybsled

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
Jesus fuck, over 2m people playing this? Fucking Chinese communists been starving for something like this it seems.

Journey to the West is like the Chinese equivalent of Lord of the Rings - you've got a pre-installed fanbase and a seemingly AAA game, so that is a license to print money

• 1Like

TBT-TheBigToe

Gemcutter
<Gold Donor>
expect alot more chinese to join the wagon for the gameplay because many of them feels the monkey and the deities depicted are very old style folklore that is just...not...cool. I mean many chinese household have the deities displayed right in their living room so its odd to play such a game.
How would you know, you Chinese or frequent Chinese forums?

Suspicious Futurama GIF

Bald Brah

Molten Core Raider
So we have to turn Chinese to get a game with no blacks or trannies?

Why is Japan so cucked?

I know why the US is.

• 4Like
Reactions: 3 users

Blueweed

Yeh I studied basic chinese folklore and their many levels of hell...

• 1Solidarity
  • 1Seriously?
  • 1Like
Reactions: 2 users

CaughtCross

Vyemm Raider
So we have to turn Chinese to get a game with no blacks or trannies?

Why is Japan so cucked?

I know why the US is.

Japan isnt big on PC gaming so games that appeal to Japanese will never dominate the steam charts like this.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

ronne

Nǐ hǎo, yǒu jīn zi ma?
Watching the general video game sphere of the internet realize the sheer scope of China has been hilarious with this launch

People in general are so bad at conceptualizing just how fucking big China is

This is steam traffic data:

1724168048726.png

The entirely of the west is a fucking rounding error compared to the Chinese market these days

Bald Brah

Molten Core Raider
Watching the general video game sphere of the internet realize the sheer scope of China has been hilarious with this launch

People in general are so bad at conceptualizing just how fucking big China is

This is steam traffic data:

View attachment 542461

The entirely of the west is a fucking rounding error compared to the Chinese market these days
That's just because all the Indian call centers are lumped in with them. China is probably only half of Indian bandwidth and 90 percent of India is just service calls to tech support.

• 1Picard

Goonsquad Officer
Journey to the West is like the Chinese equivalent of Lord of the Rings - you've got a pre-installed fanbase and a seemingly AAA game, so that is a license to print money
Yea its as foundational to them as the odysey or king arthor or some bible stories are to the west. Its yuge

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Bald Brah

Molten Core Raider
Is there any good western cinema version?

The only thing I've found is new tales of monkey on Netflix, but that's basically power rangers level of bad. I'm not watching dragonball either.