Borderlands

ronne

Nǐ hǎo, yǒu jīn zi ma?
The biggest downside to all this is that they will blame the failure on the Borderlands IP and not their shitty decisions. Which will lead to them falling back on remakes and shit instead of trying more new stuff. Could Borderlands be made into a good movie? Definitely. Just be faithful to the damn IP.

This is just not true. Borderlands as an IP is fucking garbage.

There's nothing to be faithful to. Borderlands was like such a peak 2009 era humor hodge-podge that trying to treat it as some sacrosanct grand video game narrative is just super revisionist.

Like go try and book up Borderlands 1/2 and play it today. The humor and writing is so painfully cringe inducing I bet you don't make it an hour. It somehow worked at the time because we were all still watching Aqua Teen Hunger Force and whatever else, but dear lord what a weird era it was, and it did not age well at all.

I remember laughing at this a decade ago, but watching it again today is like looking back to my teenage years and just being horrified at how much of a cringelord I was

• 4Like
  • 1Dislike
Reactions: 4 users

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
This is just not true. Borderlands as an IP is fucking garbage.

There's nothing to be faithful to. Borderlands was like such a peak 2009 era humor hodge-podge that trying to treat it as some sacrosanct grand video game narrative is just super revisionist.

Like go try and book up Borderlands 1/2 and play it today. The humor and writing is so painfully cringe inducing I bet you don't make it an hour. It somehow worked at the time because we were all still watching Aqua Teen Hunger Force and whatever else, but dear lord what a weird era it was, and it did not age well at all.

I remember laughing at this a decade ago, but watching it again today is like looking back to my teenage years and just being horrified at how much of a cringelord I was

First one is fine imo, it's two where they cranked that shit up to 11 and never turned the dial back down.

Attog

Blackwing Lair Raider
You think anybody was shocked that this movie sucked? I think even the actors knew this was shit. I think I played every single Borderlands game and enjoyed them, but I never once thought "wow this would make a great movie." More power to Gear-Box/Take Two corp overlords for collecting any money they could to license out the name.

Surprised Meme GIF

• 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 user

Palum

what Suineg set it to
You think anybody was shocked that this movie sucked? I think even the actors knew this was shit. I think I played every single Borderlands game and enjoyed them, but I never once thought "wow this would make a great movie." More power to Gear-Box/Take Two corp overlords for collecting any money they could to license out the name.

Surprised Meme GIF

For me it's more the totality of decisions and the budget. Like sure you make some low budget video game movie, whatever it's going to suck. But how do you take an aged out forgotten about mid tier franchise, replace all young people with geriatrics and then spend 100 mil after making those decisions and and up here?

Cutlery

Kill All the White People
<Gold Donor>
First one is fine imo, it's two where they cranked that shit up to 11 and never turned the dial back down.

I am of the firm opinion that gearbox lucked out with BL1. They accidentally stumbled upon something that worked well, had a passable story, had a pretty good art style, great gameplay, and was just a good, grindy looter game with the Knoxx expansion.

Everything else has been complete tryhard shit in every way. It's like they don't actually know what the secret recipe for the original magic was

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Fadaar

That guy
BL2 was carried hard by Handsome Jack, but the gameplay and loot updates were good too. It came out when I was deployed and I put so many fuckin hours into it.

• 1Solidarity

CaughtCross

Vyemm Raider
Oh, I know this tangent. Discussing Anthony Burch is always a fun time.

This made me look him up. Last I remember his wife left him and he was fired from Riot. He now appears he married this lady whose IG profile says she is queer, nonbinary, disabled and has 5 cats. Doesnt appear like he has done anything that big or notable career wise since BL2.

The video of his first wedding is a classic.

Last edited:
  • 1WTF

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
I am of the firm opinion that gearbox lucked out with BL1. They accidentally stumbled upon something that worked well, had a passable story, had a pretty good art style, great gameplay, and was just a good, grindy looter game with the Knoxx expansion.

Everything else has been complete tryhard shit in every way. It's like they don't actually know what the secret recipe for the original magic was
I sank a LOT more hours into BL2 and it's DLC but I definitely felt like I enjoyed my time with BL1 more.

Cutlery

Kill All the White People
<Gold Donor>
I sank a LOT more hours into BL2 and it's DLC but I definitely felt like I enjoyed my time with BL1 more.

I couldn't get over the bullet sponge shit with slag and no bullet regen. Same buddy I played BL1 with very successfully, and farmed Craw for weeks/months, we could barely get thru BL2 because shit just scaled so poorly and it just became a slog. Just wasn't fun anymore. God forbid you accidently stumble up on a boss of some kind and run out of primary ammo. You're gonna be there all fucking week killing that thing.

I still play thru BL1 from time to time, and I really enjoy the Knoxx expansion, but everything else in that franchise is something I'd be happy to never do again

• 1Like

Big Phoenix

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Gold Donor>
This made me look him up. Last I remember his wife left him and he was fired from Riot. He now appears he married this lady whose IG profile says she is queer, nonbinary, disabled and has 5 cats. Doesnt appear like he has done anything that big or notable career wise since BL2.

The video of his first wedding is a classic.

Anthony Burch?

• 1Worf

k^M

Blackwing Lair Raider
Cl4ptr4p is the only decent thing to come out of borderlands. A movie about that robot would be more interesting than this preview seemed to be.

• 1Like