Borderlands

spronk

FPS noob
$100m budget, they downgraded opening weekend expectations to $20m up until this week

Sydney Sweeney Bomb GIF by First We Feast

• 3Wow!
  • 2Worf
  • 2Like
Reactions: 6 users

Haus

<Silver Donator>
How many 13 year olds have even played Borderlands?
I don't think it's just 13 year olds who have or haven't played.

Borderlands is, IMHO, a great game franchise. I've enjoyed the hell out of it. I know some friends who have also played and loved it. But it doesn't have the audience/fanbase as a game to drive a major motion picture. It's nowhere near a game that the average person knows by name if you mention it. (Like Halo, Fortnite, Resident Evil, Super Mario Brothers, etc). Have you ever seen a kid in a Borderlands Halloween costume? (although I'm sure they'll try to market some this year)

Somewhere, someone managed the pitch meeting of a lifetime convincing some execs that there was enough of a "built in audience" for this that it was a sure fire hit.

BoozeCube

Von Clippowicz
<Prior Amod>
I don't think it's just 13 year olds who have or haven't played.

Borderlands is, IMHO, a great game franchise. I've enjoyed the hell out of it. I know some friends who have also played and loved it. But it doesn't have the audience/fanbase as a game to drive a major motion picture. It's nowhere near a game that the average person knows by name if you mention it. (Like Halo, Fortnite, Resident Evil, Super Mario Brothers, etc). Have you ever seen a kid in a Borderlands Halloween costume? (although I'm sure they'll try to market some this year)

Somewhere, someone managed the pitch meeting of a lifetime convincing some execs that there was enough of a "built in audience" for this that it was a sure fire hit.

A movie could be made and be good, but not some PG gayness with geriatric actors.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Haus

<Silver Donator>
A movie could be made and be good, but not some PG gayness with geriatric actors.
Well, there is that as well.... But in this day and age you have to start off with something big going for you (pre-built audience, or top tier talent)

Kajiimagi

<Gold Donor>
All I remember if Eli Roth is he was Howard Stern's assistant on Private Parts the movie.
Oh and the 'bear jew' in Inglorious Baetards (sp?)

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Djay

Trakanon Raider
I would have considered watching this, but I pretty much refuse to see anything with Kevin Hart in it. I think the Jumanji remakes were the only exceptions I can remember. I don't find him entertaining at all.

OU Ariakas

Diet Dr. Pepper Enjoyer
<Silver Donator>
Quick, remind me of the last even moderately successful action movie whose female leads (fucking lol) were 3 over 55 women and one weird looking teenager.... I'll wait. The idea that the target audience, men and boys, would turn their heads a fucking inch for any woman in these trailers is absurd.

jayrebb

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
Cate Blanchett isn't getting people talking or titilating anyone in 2024. There was a real disconnect here.

The word of mouth has to be beyond nonexistent-- not even an utterance besides to avoid. That's how you go from tracking 20m to 8.8m

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Fucker

Log Wizard
Cate Blanchett isn't getting people talking or titilating anyone in 2024. There was a real disconnect here.

The word of mouth has to be beyond nonexistent-- not even an utterance besides to avoid. That's how you go from tracking 20m to 8.8m
Most of the cupcakes in this show are 30-40 years past their sell by date. How this went into production with this cast is beyond me.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user