Cruella (2021)

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
Being man's best friend didn't stop puppies from being drowned at birth, nor does it prevent strays that don't get adopted from being euthanized. But I guess skinning and eating is different from simply killing them. Gotta leave that for the ugly animals.
we do worse to unwanted human babies. we dont eat our aborted human babies though. we dont skin them and make dead baby jackets either. there is a line between euthanizing unwanted animals and straight up going Buffalo Bill on them

• 1EyeRoll
Reactions: 1 user

Raes

Vyemm Raider
we do worse to unwanted human babies. we dont eat our aborted human babies though. we dont skin them and make dead baby jackets either. there is a line between euthanizing unwanted animals and straight up going Buffalo Bill on them

Except we do just that, except for an arbitrary subset. Also don't get why you're trying to bring humans into this discussion. It's not a valid comparison.

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
Except we do just that, except for an arbitrary subset. Also don't get why you're trying to bring humans into this discussion. It's not a valid comparison.
well i dont consider the freaks who put fetal tissue on themselves as normal people. normal people dont do that kind of crazy, but we do summarily put animals out of their misery rather than prolong a possible unhappy/painful existence. all i'm saying is while somewhat extreme to throw a bag of kittens or puppies off a bridge to drown them, its what some people see as a mercy. i dont think most people would get off on something like that. we usually respect our domesticated animals and wouldnt want harm to come to them. Horses are included in this

• 1Like
  • 1Picard
Reactions: 1 users

Haus

<Silver Donator>
I dunno, Muslims hate dogs. Ilhan Omar would probably skin puppies.

Not to mention it will be easy to re-edit it for the Chinese market where instead of a fashion designer, she's just an up and coming chef and the dogs are well... you know....

Lithose

Buzzfeed Editor
I may be mistaken, not sure where I know this from, but wasn't there a period in history where drowning bags of newborn puppies or kittens was fairly commonplace for population control?

Of Mice and Men probably--the foreman talks about how he drowned all but the 3-4 biggest puppies.

Yes, this was very common. Even the humane societies of the time would put dozens of dogs in cages and drown them to kill them. For the most part though, this was because most dogs were working dogs--they were tools, not pets.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Rezz

Mr. Poopybutthole
It's dumb to portray anyone who wants to skin puppies in a positive light. You can look at the time period and go "well I suppose that's a thing that happened for the time period." But that is not what is being done.

Disney isn't making a period piece; they're dressing up actors in period wear (in most cases... probably not) and then somehow trying to humanize a woman who was willing to break laws in order to murder puppies. She literally hires two thieves to steal and kill/skin the puppies after the owners won't sell, and then tries to ram them with her car. She's literally a psychotic villain.

I have no idea how maleficent became a thing people cared for; she was a jealous witch with overwhelming power that destroyed a kingdom because they didn't invite her, a witch with overwhelming powers, to their daughter's birthday?

Why are we trying to make inhuman characters human? I ask this in a void because I honestly don't think it's because they have some weird agenda to make Muslim suicide bombings noble. It's just a f'n weird quirk and I don't get it. It's shitty kids with bad parenting growing up with bad schooling who think them being stupid/weird is somehow a super power. It's dumb.

• 3Like

j00t

Silver Baronet of the Realm
It's dumb to portray anyone who wants to skin puppies in a positive light. You can look at the time period and go "well I suppose that's a thing that happened for the time period." But that is not what is being done.

Disney isn't making a period piece; they're dressing up actors in period wear (in most cases... probably not) and then somehow trying to humanize a woman who was willing to break laws in order to murder puppies. She literally hires two thieves to steal and kill/skin the puppies after the owners won't sell, and then tries to ram them with her car. She's literally a psychotic villain.

I have no idea how maleficent became a thing people cared for; she was a jealous witch with overwhelming power that destroyed a kingdom because they didn't invite her, a witch with overwhelming powers, to their daughter's birthday?

Why are we trying to make inhuman characters human? I ask this in a void because I honestly don't think it's because they have some weird agenda to make Muslim suicide bombings noble. It's just a f'n weird quirk and I don't get it. It's shitty kids with bad parenting growing up with bad schooling who think them being stupid/weird is somehow a super power. It's dumb.
good villains are generally better characters than equally good heroes. in a lot of stories, the villain gets more character development than the hero simply out of necessity. the hero needs something to struggle against, and the more interesting that opposing force, the more heroic the hero is.

because of that, people start flocking to characters like the joker or darth vader. there isn't anything inherently wrong with exploring more of what makes a someone a villain. that can be pretty interesting. the issue is that people get confused between the term "protagonist" and "hero." you can have a villain be the protagonist, that's basically what Avengers Infinity War did with Thanos. it's when you do things like this movie, where they CLEARLY are trying to make cruella the hero and it just doesn't make any kind of sense for what we already know about the character.

• 3Like

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member

society is collapsing, its really all that needs to be said.

• 2Like
  • 1Solidarity

Downhammer

Vyemm Raider
Family saw this last night. Girls wanted to see it and I used it as an excuse to all-you-can-eat theater popcorn for the first time in 18 months. I actually enjoyed it. I thought both Emma's did an excellent job. There's no dog skinning or anything, just one joke where Cruella very sarcastically says "yes" when asked if she made a coat out of them followed very quickly by "I'm kidding you sicko." If it wasn't based on 101 Dalmatians you probably wouldn't have needed those dogs in the movie at all. The one eye'd dog they use for heists is awesome though. Set in the 70s London which made the soundtrack a plus for me. One "gay" sidekick modeled after Ziggy Stardust but he fit his role of fashionista well.

Caliane

the best part of this whole diatribe is that mist is right. no one asked for a movie about cruella. she is cartoonishly one-dimensional in how evil she is. "we need a villian for this new kids movie about puppies..." "oh, i know, how bout an old hag who wants to turn cute puppies into garishly expensive fur coats?"

the idea of turning cruella into the protaganist is some backwards artistic direction.

that being said, we're all pre-programmed to think mist is a lunatic so if she says something that actually makes sense we have to immediately change our opinion. it's pretty great
Cruella could be the protagonist in.. a very different movie. Don't confuse protagonist with hero. Theres tons of protagonists who are morally, giant shit heads at best, or outright villain's at worst.
Momento, The prestige, Pitch black, Payback, Nightcrawler.

A Prestige or Nightcrawler like movie with Cruella as the lead, would work just fine.

• 1Like

Angerz

Trakanon Raider
Movie was pretty good. Between this and I, Tonya, this director has a handle on making movies about crazy women.

It was a bit long though, I dont think it needed a runtime over 2 hours. Performances, music and costuming were all great.

if only it didn't have the fact that the main character is known as a dog murderer hanging over it... (although the movie seems to imply that the stories that we know, that would follow this movie, are apocryphal)

Lithose

Buzzfeed Editor

Vox wants to know why Puppy-skinning villains are so likeable! (Disney embedded ad campaign in full push).

As said, this isn't some conspiracy theory--they literally go over their ideological views in the making of Frozen.

Cruella is merely the latest example of Disney’s enthusiasm for catering to fans of the bad guys, a stance it has increasingly leaned into over the last decade as it’s started to craft franchises around villains after defining itself by its princesses. Frozen’s Elsa was originally intended to be the villain of that film, before the narrative shifted to make her the sympathetic antihero instead. Angelina Jolie headlined two live-action films exploring the backstory of Sleeping Beauty’s evil dragon Maleficent in 2014 and 2019.

Frozen was going to be a by the book Disney movie until the female empowerment theme took over and the 'bad guy' was swapped to the man, so they woman could be the anti-hero. And then romance was stripped from it, and the sisterly love saved her (Maleficent, same formula--motherly love saved her instead of the prince; you know, because strong women don't need no man!)

Last edited:
  • 1WTF
  • 1Like
Reactions: 1 users

Voyce

Shit Lord Supreme
<Donor>
Someone made a joke, "how are you going to make Cruella a relatable protagonist, is her back story that Dalmatians killer her parents?"

Last edited:

Voyce

Shit Lord Supreme
<Donor>
And yes, Lithose is correct, this movie exists because of SJWs, this can happen whether or not SJWs like the movie. Is this the tipping point, is this where you realize, "oh shit this really is clown world" ...I'd have hoped it would come from something that was actually meaningful and not a fictional fucking movie

Big Phoenix

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Gold Donor>
1622765847223.png

• 3Worf
  • 1WTF
  • 1Cringe
Reactions: 4 users

Angerz

Trakanon Raider
So, all this uproar and in the movie there's no dog skinning whatsoever?
None, in fact she likes dogs quite a bit. And the Dalmatians are evil, just like every Dalmatian I've met in real life, which is one, who bit my sister's face immediately. We didn't adopt that one.

• 1Worf

Raes

Vyemm Raider
So, all this uproar and in the movie there's no dog skinning whatsoever?

I'm pretty sure there was no dog skinning in the original movie either, since, ya know, the dalmations won? Correct me if I'm wrong, it's been like 40 years since I watched it. The "uproar" is about saying it's ok to skin dalmation puppies to make a coat if your mother was murdered by an evil bitch who used trained dalmations to push her off a cliff. Plus, it's a retcon really.