Dave Chappelle

Armadon

<Bronze Donator>
Yeah I don't know why but the walking back in circles or banging his microphone on his knee is just annoying as fuck. It's like hey I'm laughing at my joke you should too! The dude is still freaking hilarious and this one was his best out of the recent 3 he's done.

spronk

FPS noob
It's pretty funny, besides Dave basically always defending any Black Man (not even black women) down the line because of slavery/evil white people, it's pretty enjoyable. Dave has always made it seem like black people had it the worst and everyone else is just going through stuff black people already go through. Sometimes he's right, sometimes he isn't. But it's almost always funny.

yeah, you have to accept that going in, Dave's POV is ALWAYS that the black young male in America has it the absolute worst, and everyone else is just riding off his suffering and expense. Any other minority might have bad shit happening to them but thats nothing compared to young black men, and those others weren't there to support young black men when they need it. Once you "accept" thats his absolute core central philosophy, everything he says makes sense, at least from his POV.

What I do find baffling is that how people nowadays somehow think comedians should be role models or something. Who gives a fuck what Dave says? Either its funny or its not, but don't be trying to build a goddamn life philosophy off a comedians 1 hour set. I like him pointing out the absurdities of life and society, and thats the end of it.

I do find it funny how so many people try to treat him as some sort of hood rat done well, he grew up middle class and has lived in Ohio for 20 years. He is not a character from the Wire who became a standup, he's your high school friend who became a very, very good standup.

• 4Like
Reactions: 3 users

Kirun

Buzzfeed Editor
<Gold Donor>
Maybe it's just because I'm a big gun guy, but the shotgun bit had me almost in tears.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Khane

Got something right about marriage
It's Dave's new style. He's very political now. Some of it is hilarious, some of it is cringey.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Soygen

The Dirty Dozen For the Price of One
<Nazi Janitors>
he never seemed to wear a chip on his shoulder back then.
Getting super successful on The Chapelle Show really exposed him to the scum of Hollywood, I think. He's definitely changed after all that.

• 1Like

iannis

Musty Nester
If you can kill this thing, I should at least be allowed to abandon it.

The man speaks truth. heh.

• 8Like
Reactions: 7 users

Sanrith Descartes

Veteran of a thousand threadban wars
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
I enjoyed the new one a ton. Laughed out loud a lot. It may not have been classic Dave, but it was funny. "I looked for the box of shells with the white meth head on it".

Caliane

It's pretty funny, besides Dave basically always defending any Black Man (not even black women) down the line because of slavery/evil white people, it's pretty enjoyable. Dave has always made it seem like black people had it the worst and everyone else is just going through stuff black people already go through. Sometimes he's right, sometimes he isn't. But it's almost always funny.
yeah, like towards the end. "white people are poor too. but white people just think, its not supposed to happen to them". 30seconds later, "I was poor, but my dad yelled at me, "we aren't poor, we're just broke". Dave, you are saying your dad had the same exact mentality as you asserted white people have, and is somehow exclusive to them. you literally, said,"only white people think that".
So, you never know whats just a joke. but yeah, this kind of theme comes up alot in his stuff. Same with the meth, etc. "oh, see when its happening to white people! drugs are bad!" That whole piece came off as if he never heard of War on Drugs, cocaine, etc. White people have had drug problems for a long time, and no one has pretended otherwise.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Khane

It's all just a joke, and expecting a comedian to be on top of everything instead of just making jokes about shit just means you probably have a terrible sense of humor. Black comedians joking about racial divides is hardly exclusive to Dave Chappelle.

The "Just Say No" bit was hilarious because he was poking fun at a misguided concept while bringing an old approach to a new drug crisis. Comedy isn't about historical or socioeconomic accuracy. It's about laughing at the absurdity of pretending there are simple answers to complicated problems and using humor as catharsis.

• 5Like
  • 1Seriously?
Reactions: 5 users

iannis

Musty Nester
Yeah, Chapelle plays that line a little bit too close though. Sometimes he's being completely serious and sometimes he's being intentionally absurd.

Which is fine with me. That's exactly how the internet works. It's all just a joke except when it isn't.

Khane

Yea well "You clicked on my face Wakandan".

• 1Like

Void

Experiencer
<Gold Donor>
Watched it the other night and loved it. That's the most I've laughed out loud in quite awhile. Sure, some of the jokes didn't land for me, or I disagreed with his premise at times, but that's true of almost every comedian out there. I agreed and laughed far more than I have to most comedians in years, so I can just play along on the jokes that I don't find funny. When the balance leans further to the negative, that's when I have to decide whether or not I want to keep listening. But I enjoyed a good 90% of his jokes I'd say, and many of them were shitting on current "cancel culture" so that made it even more hilarious to me.

I didn't notice his stage idiosyncrasies either, but I've watched Ozzy Osbourne shuffle to the left, clap and sing, shuffle to the middle, put the mic on the stand, clap and sing, pull the mic off the stand, shuffle to the right, clap and sing, shuffle to the middle, rinse, repeat for decades, so I can overlook that shit most of the time. Chappelle was fucking hilarious almost the entire time, and I laughed out loud, so I can't ask for much more than that.

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
Watched it the other night and loved it. That's the most I've laughed out loud in quite awhile. Sure, some of the jokes didn't land for me, or I disagreed with his premise at times, but that's true of almost every comedian out there. I agreed and laughed far more than I have to most comedians in years, so I can just play along on the jokes that I don't find funny. When the balance leans further to the negative, that's when I have to decide whether or not I want to keep listening. But I enjoyed a good 90% of his jokes I'd say, and many of them were shitting on current "cancel culture" so that made it even more hilarious to me.

I didn't notice his stage idiosyncrasies either, but I've watched Ozzy Osbourne shuffle to the left, clap and sing, shuffle to the middle, put the mic on the stand, clap and sing, pull the mic off the stand, shuffle to the right, clap and sing, shuffle to the middle, rinse, repeat for decades, so I can overlook that shit most of the time. Chappelle was fucking hilarious almost the entire time, and I laughed out loud, so I can't ask for much more than that.
People have speculated for years that it's either the drugs that made ozzy retarded or he had a stroke. I think it was a stroke, because he can still sing fine which means that part of his brain suffered no damage.