Desktop Computers

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
Maybe it's an adapter that converts it back to analog so you can plug it into your soundcard?

Izo

Tranny Chaser
Mmm, maybe the adapters, like Creative Sound Blaster Play! 3 can amplify signal, like with long cables - vs std onboard? Trying to help the nurses get their conference/break room speakers to do more than a whisper. Bought one, will see if it’s wasted 20 bucks (probably). I’ve no idea what the ohm is for the wall mounted speakers, cable is 5-7m long if I had to guess. Speakers close to works fine if I plug them in instead. IT has given up, meh.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
I'd really like to know what maximum per-core clocks your new CPU can hit, with no manual overclocking and just PBO Enabled (not Auto) in the BIOS.

Even my 'old' 2700X can hit 4250 on 2 or 3 cores at the same time, if the workload allows the CPU to downvolt/downclock the other unused cores.

The architecture/PBO has significantly improved in your 3900X, and if you really did win the lottery, it could be interesting.

Here's what it looks like. Looks like CCD0 is capable of ~4.5GHz and CCD1 is capable of ~4.3GHz. This kind of goes along with what a lot of people online were saying where they were putting in a good chiplet and a bad chiplet (or shitlet). I'm going to actually work on manually OC'ing the CCX's and see what I get.

1587952268455.png

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

ver_21

Molten Core Raider
Here's what it looks like. Looks like CCD0 is capable of ~4.5GHz and CCD1 is capable of ~4.3GHz. This kind of goes along with what a lot of people online were saying where they were putting in a good chiplet and a bad chiplet (or shitlet). I'm going to actually work on manually OC'ing the CCX's and see what I get.

Looks right. I get the best results with PBO preset #2:

3900X.jpg

Up to 4625 (briefly) on 4 of the 6 cores of CCD0, and up to 4350 on the cores of CCD1. Gives a CBR20 score of about 7300. Most of the work seems to be done around 4100GHz unless manually overclocked.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
Manually setting each ccx I get about 7600 haha, it's not even worth. Not sure what real world differences will be

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
No problem, it was enlightening to me. I'll have to do some game benchmarking when my monitor comes in. Right now my manual OC is beating PB by a few hundred in cinebench

Argarth

On the verandah
No problem, it was enlightening to me. I'll have to do some game benchmarking when my monitor comes in. Right now my manual OC is beating PB by a few hundred in cinebench

That will also be interesting. Look forward to seeing the results!

Re Cinebench, makes sense since all cores are tapped out, and there's no balancing act for PBO to manage. I guess it's just CPU voltage/thermal targets then, that you can override.

The thing I love about PBO, is that the CPU runs super cool at the desktop or when doing simple things like browsing or watching a video. But when running multiple uneven loads, the Cores jump all over the place on demand, and hence achieve those much higher values. If AMD is to be believed, these decisions are being made up to a thousand times a second, so monitoring software can't really give a good indication of what's going on.

For gaming, at least with titles that utilize all cores/threads evenly, your OC should still be "better". I'm really interested to see what sort of difference it makes to your FPS though.

(I stopped OCing my 2700X ages ago, because the extra thermal load just wasn't paying off, and now that I'm gaming at 3840x1600, there's even less reason to flog the poor CPU.)

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
I'm going to do some PB2 testing today,.some results I saw for PBO was that it actually doesn't really help too much but I'll try it for myself.

I'm a BIOS engineer for my day job and write for Intel, so to play around with the technology on the other side of the fence is very cool

And... I talked shit about ryzen for a long time, but this technology is simply blowing Intel away. When I saw the 10 series intels were gonna be 225W tdp I knew I couldn't use them.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

ver_21

Molten Core Raider
I'm going to do some PB2 testing today,.some results I saw for PBO was that it actually doesn't really help too much but I'll try it for myself.

I'm a BIOS engineer for my day job and write for Intel, so to play around with the technology on the other side of the fence is very cool

And... I talked shit about ryzen for a long time, but this technology is simply blowing Intel away. When I saw the 10 series intels were gonna be 225W tdp I knew I couldn't use them.

It really is great tech. Matisse:CPUs::LED:Lightbulbs, imo.

I haven't used it yet, but I think all the x570 BIOSes have eco mode and can run all cores in the low 3000GHz for 65w.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
So with just PB2 I get around 7k Cinebench R20 scores, so not sure how you're getting 7300 but I assume you just got a really good chip.

I don't know whether I should manually OC or not. My guess is it's not worth it for gaming because my single core results are within 1% of eachother whether manually OC or using PB2/PBO

ver_21

Molten Core Raider
So with just PB2 I get around 7k Cinebench R20 scores, so not sure how you're getting 7300 but I assume you just got a really good chip.

I don't know whether I should manually OC or not. My guess is it's not worth it for gaming because my single core results are within 1% of eachother whether manually OC or using PB2/PBO

Mine is like first batch--most likely your chip is better. And the best scores I've seen have been from Asus BIOSes, so that's in your favor, too. But yeah the OC gains with Matisse are fun to chase but in my experience ultimately nominal.

You can drive yourself crazy with the tweaking (I did all last fall) because with the "infinity fabric" there's a lot of push-pull between mobo, ram, and cpu. I basically gave up manual tweaking and settled on presets. So PBO2 with Kingston XMP for 4000--it's not the lowest CL, but it seems to maximize what my cpu can do with the fabric clock.

wilkxus

<Bronze Donator>
Interesting stuff indeed, curious if either of you guys get sustained max on a single core beyond just a stat or CB?

AMD is certainly here to stay with some great tech and even greater value. Only thing that really put me off with 3900x was people seemed to b e having trouble hitting anywhere close to max clock in useful real world scenarios. That and a fully unified cache in Zen4 (no more pinning threads to CCXs ) makes waiting for Zen4 a lil easier. So holding on to my 2x00 stuff for now and holding out for upgrade by the end of the year. Looking like a min 20-30% performance jump per core going from 2700x to a 4900x.

Im most excited waiting for the 4400G (hopefully 8 core) though.This looks to be a great chip and an enormous jump in performance letting me combine Plex/file serving on my HTPC.

Crone

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
so im in the market for a new headset googled some stuff for reviews this one caught my eye for it being 50% off, but after reading reviews it says dont bother buying unless you have a Sound card adapter ( i never bothered to buy a sound card im using on board if that helps answer questions)

Headphones and the review about the sound card adapter View attachment 265420

If you guys have any recommendations im the in the market for 100-150$ maybe more if its worth it, id like to hear some opinions on what you guys use (mostly for FPS) and why you recommend it, if anyone has a link to a good website with reviews on headsets please feel free to post that here as well, thanks in advance bros

Alot of stuff im reading now is buy a good headset and then a stand alone mic whats your guys opinion? i see streamers using these headsets with seperate mics but i dont think that has anything to do with sound clarity they just want a stand alone mic to either talk to chat(better quality sounding voice) and use the headset for disc
"Because 'gaming' headsets are gimmicky targeted products that combine shit tier drivers with even shittier tier microphones."
Those Game Ones are amazing, and I've had them for a couple years now. It absolutely does not need a sound card adapter.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
Mine is like first batch--most likely your chip is better. And the best scores I've seen have been from Asus BIOSes, so that's in your favor, too. But yeah the OC gains with Matisse are fun to chase but in my experience ultimately nominal.

You can drive yourself crazy with the tweaking (I did all last fall) because with the "infinity fabric" there's a lot of push-pull between mobo, ram, and cpu. I basically gave up manual tweaking and settled on presets. So PBO2 with Kingston XMP for 4000--it's not the lowest CL, but it seems to maximize what my cpu can do with the fabric clock.
Yeah I turned off manual OC after further testing. Single core performance is basically the same so it's not really big. Cinebench scores being higher at the cost of heat isn't a benefit to me

I kept my RAM oc/timings and GPU oc though

Last edited:
  • 2Like
Reactions: 1 users