EQ Never

Jait

Molten Core Raider
Makes sense to me, and I'm as big a lore nerd as they come.

No Gods of Influence really....not yet anyway. Makes sense in a sandbox

tad10

Elisha Dushku
"Tactics are more important than roles."

Like eveything else, this is a big 'what if'. But honestly, this is where emergent gameplay will evolved from. We also talk about how awesome EverQuest was in being able to innovate new an unexpected strategies. I welcome groups that don't require each traditional role. Maybe you can have an all caster group that uses roots, snares, and pets to clear their way through a dungeon.

Hopefully it ends up well, but I think this is the kind of innovating the genre does need.
I think the StoryBricks guys can pull it off. *knocks on wood*

Big Flex

Fitness Fascist
rrr_img_38874.jpg

Gecko_sl

shitlord
"Tactics are more important than roles."

Like eveything else, this is a big 'what if'. But honestly, this is where emergent gameplay will evolved from. We also talk about how awesome EverQuest was in being able to innovate new an unexpected strategies. I welcome groups that don't require each traditional role. Maybe you can have an all caster group that uses roots, snares, and pets to clear their way through a dungeon.

Hopefully it ends up well, but I think this is the kind of innovating the genre does need.
As long as we never hear the fucking hated words: 'We're balancing abilities for PVP'

I kind of wonder why they haven't just basically remade EQ but with an updated engine?
That would be a smash hit for most of us Loyal eq classic launch fans.
Hell if they did that as well as took the best systems, ideas just from eq1,eq2 as well as vanguard with little of the wow ideas as well think it would be hit.
But despite what Smed says they want a cash cow in a game that can be there new Flagship MMO both in subs, soe all access subs, cash shop money, as well I would quess they continue to sell boxes between digtal version as well as the store versions.

At this point the million dollar question is, to play the game fully will Smed-SOE make you buy the game with different packages regular, deluxe and collectors etc.
Typically sony has always done that in the past.
They could keep doing that and just call it BTP, with cash shop.
They still would have some type of Gold sub were you got extra bonuses character slots etc if you subbed over the FTP player, as well as soe all access would have the gold sub for it to.

SOE has always in the past used game copy sales for there PNL bottom line cash$$$.
Either way, I would expect them to have some free trial at launch, if they do make the FTP players need to buy the game copy, then all future expansions they would make you buy like they still do now.

Agraza

Registered Hutt
Rek_sl said:
There will be no "!" or "?" over NPC's #EQNext
Oh really? And what is going to replace it? Because they tried this in EQ2, and they had to give up and use symbols like WoW. This is one of the sillier "issues" EQ fans/SOE have. It's a quality of life issue that you actually know where/when quests are offered in the game. Alternatively we could all go back to allakhazam to find out how we're supposed to play this intuitive emergent game. That makes sense.

Anomander Rake

Golden Knight of the Realm
So, my initial reaction to removing the holy trinity was "fuck that i'm out" as well. I poopsocked to lvl 80 in GW2 in 2 weeks, and did maybe two dungeons during that time. The dungeon experience at launch was a horribly tuned, corpse-spawn-rush nightmare. I thought it would be cool to have self heals and a dodge mechanic, but all I found was that I missed the holy trinity. I think what GW2 was trying to do is noble, I just think that the execution was subpar (at least what I played at launch). Not too hopeful that SOE can improve upon it though, but the fact that they are saying that mob AI won't be dependent on static triggers might mean that there won't be mechanics that required cheesing to get around like in GW2. Being a great tank in earlier mmos was a sense of achievement, and a lot of responsibility (which I sometimes loved, and sometimes hated). To start raging this early in development is a pretty knee jerk reaction. If they can do it well, then I'm all for it. If it seems like they won't be able to do anything other than reproduce what GW2 is doing now, then please give me back the trinity.

Lost Ranger_sl

shitlord
Just a bit curious on what this means.
I'm assuming it means that gear isn't going to be just boring +5 str/agi/int shit. It will be more like LoL so gear will have things like +5% haste, +5% life leech, +5% run speed, +5% health/mana/stam regen etc. Basically effects that can drastically change the way a class is even played. I personally find that type of gear to be FAR more interesting.

Sithro

Molten Core Raider
I'm assuming it means that gear isn't going to be just boring +5 str/agi/int shit. It will be more like LoL so gear will have things like +5% haste, +5% life leech, +5% run speed, +5% health/mana/stam regen etc. Basically effects that can drastically change the way a class is even played. I personally find that type of gear to be FAR more interesting.
Same here.

Also, gear apparently will give you abilities, which is cool as well.

As for them ditching the trinity, I do not know how I feel about that.

Big Flex

Fitness Fascist
Rek ?@RekMMO 1m

Another warning, things talked about in this panel are subject to change. #EQNext
Expand

You can't unrape someone.

I pretty much agree with UT on everything bad about GW2 so please God don't let them take ideas from a want be MMO.
My definition of a AA MMO is must have Raids even if its casual raids as well as hardcore mod the raids heroic or nightmare etc, as well as have dungeons that you can gear with, as well as getting rare drops the loot carrot, plus then heroic versions can run for better loot with extra bosses etc.

Jump puzzles and having seasonal events like all good AA MMO's have like xmas events frostfell etc does not equal Content.
Also GW2 pvp is just a grindy zergfest, and the so called end game content they do have is to grind for nice outfit.
My GF in real life loves GW2 as well as eq2 the housing shit.
She thinks getting all the outfits in Gw2 is content lulz.

LordLime_sl

shitlord
Just a bit curious on what this means.
Weapons are the mechanics, like a character you can craft or find during gameplay compared to LoL.
Abilities by Class/Multiclass are sort of a bonus ability system that acts as a modifier to the main weapon gameplay.

Big Arse Sword of the Gods gives you a Arcing Swing, thundering smash, Thrust, and Rooted Parry.
Broken Twig of the Fey gives you Poke in the Eye, Sponk!, Light Hot and Spark.

Both Weapons would play differently and with class abilities you can really change your playstyle.

So with weapon releases coming from content expansions (monthly - bimonthly?) you'll have alot of interesting styles to choose from.

Teekey

Mr. Poopybutthole
Oh really? And what is going to replace it? Because they tried this in EQ2, and they had to give up and use symbols like WoW. This is one of the sillier "issues" EQ fans/SOE have. It's a quality of life issue that you actually know where/when quests are offered in the game. Alternatively we could all go back to allakhazam to find out how we're supposed to play this intuitive emergent game. That makes sense.
Simple, make quests more organic. My example: NPC had an item stolen by some Kobolds. He sees you in Kobold Skin Cloak, and realizes you're skilled Kobold Slayer - so he hires you to retrieve his item.

"You don't have to talk to the guy to get content. When you go the an area the content will be presented to you, What do you need to do to solve the problems here? These are the things. You don't talk to anyone unless there are specific narratives that we want."

"It's a very unguided experience, people are going to need to adventure, to explore, to be apart of the world."

Source:http://youtu.be/b2P4ahDOsMk?t=4m10s

Sithro

Molten Core Raider
Rek ?@RekMMO 1m

Another warning, things talked about in this panel are subject to change. #EQNext
Expand

You can't unrape someone.
To be fair, it's more like they've threatened to go in dry at this point. Hopefully they see the backlash and don't.

I don't see why they don't just jack Wildstar's combat.

I mean, the non-trinity thing could work if the AI is really good (storybricks), but I don't think I trust SOE to get that right. If they did, I would believe in Christmas miracles.

rolx_sl

shitlord
Ok so I just logged on and puked. Theres no tanks or healers at all? I am not even going to play this game now if that is true.