EQ Never

So, to break up the angst wanking (wangsting?) around here a bit, I'll say I'm generally liking what they've told and shown us of EQN so far; obviously, all of it depends on whether or not SOE can actually pull off what they're talking about, but the concepts they're presenting largely sound good to me.

The only thing I'm not really liking is the ease with which you can swap out classes. The multiclassing by slotting in other classes' skills into the secondary slots is fine, but I don't like that you can apparently just swap out your primary class on-the-fly. I'd like it if that part of your character had at least a little more permanence; at minimum, make the player go back to town and talk with a class trainer to change your primary class. Ideally, I'd go even further, and make changing your primary class something on a similar scale to the betrayal quests from eq2: it's an option, but it requires effort, and likely isn't something you'll do on a whim.

Hopefully that'll come up in their round table discussions at some point.
Muti classing involves station cash 2500 that you swich out swipe with your credit card.

have perma base classes:
warrior/mage/rogue

allow subtype weapon/class swapping among basetypes:
warrior, blademaster, shieldmaster, etc

but

if you want to swap class, then it costs attribute points (but you gain attribute points in classes)
ex:
as a warrior, costs 3 str for blademaster (and you can gain 3str (if youmake it to tier3))
as a warrior, costs 2str 1int to change into a tempest.

out of combat, you can pick 4 skills from any other class (nonweapon/class yielded skills)

*something* like that would be a step in the right direction.

Haus

<Silver Donator>
The thread is moving way too fast to make this current.. but was someone up there somehow shocked that they ran into a tranny in Vegas at a bar?!? Really? seriously? SHM

What's worse is that I know at least one tranny who works for SOE....

have perma base classes:
warrior/mage/rogue

allow subtype weapon/class swapping among basetypes:
warrior, blademaster, shieldmaster, etc

but

if you want to swap class, then it costs attribute points (but you gain attribute points in classes)
ex:
as a warrior, costs 3 str for blademaster (and you can gain 3str (if youmake it to tier3))
as a warrior, costs 2str 1int to change into a tempest.

out of combat, you can pick 4 skills from any other class (nonweapon/class yielded skills)

*something* like that would be a step in the right direction.
There is going to be 40 classes total they have said so, I even had linked of 8 of the classes in this thread.

Ambiturner

Ssraeszha Raider
Much of the challenge in heroics is just getting there. You have to wade through weeks of boring content that has no challenge, to level up and gear up enough to do heroics.

There should be challenging content from day one. Making me play the retard version of the game for months before accessing a challenge is a sure fire way to get me to quit the game.
There is challenging content on day one. Problem is, you're doing content that has been around a while with people who are overgeared and have done the content many times before. If you ever get into a group of people who haven't done the content before in a have like wow or rift, you are going to wipe. Probably many times.

slicedmass_sl

shitlord
Personally im so much less worried about all the mechanics except for 1 and its them talking up the AI like it will be smart. Its hard to imagine how they will manage their AI to actually be smart when there are 5, 10, 15, 20, 25 people in the vacinity of these enemies trying to kill them. How will they properly make decisions and what will stop everyone from targeting 1, killing it in 1 second and moving to the next and so on. I feel like the AI is their pipe dream and they will realize they can't do what they imagined they could do and will have a couple choices to make. Make them just absurdly hard but not necesarilly smart or make them punching bags to have a feeling of difficulty because they live through a 2 minute fight getting smacked.

Dandai

<WoW Guild Officer>
<Gold Donor>
God damn you fuckers are chatty. 1000 posts since yesterday morning.

I read all of Tad's liveblog stuff. Was there any new media released to the news sites?

There is going to be 40 classes total they have said so, I even had linked of 8 of the classes in this thread.
am i misreading something? i was just proposing something that they could do that is similar/better. i agree with randin last points.

on my last post, hell you coould even drop restriction from going to one basetype (mage) to another (warrior)... so long as there is attribute costs going to and from classes.

Teekey

Mr. Poopybutthole
Personally im so much less worried about all the mechanics except for 1 and its them talking up the AI like it will be smart. Its hard to imagine how they will manage their AI to actually be smart when there are 5, 10, 15, 20, 25 people in the vacinity of these enemies trying to kill them. How will they properly make decisions and what will stop everyone from targeting 1, killing it in 1 second and moving to the next and so on. I feel like the AI is their pipe dream and they will realize they can't do what they imagined they could do and will have a couple choices to make. Make them just absurdly hard but not necesarilly smart or make them punching bags to have a feeling of difficulty because they live through a 2 minute fight getting smacked.
StoryBricks is the real wildcard that will determine if EverQuest Next is successfull beyond being Minecraft the MMO.

They certainly seem confident in it, but there is such little examples of actual in-depth implementation of StoryBricks beyond their marketing hype.

etchazz

Trakanon Raider
the holy trinity may suck, but it's also the only viable option. the only alternative that i've seen (so far) is to homogenize all the classes into a gigantic clusterfuck and just let everyone do everything, which isn't the answer either (see GW2). the trinity breaks everyone up into specific classes (main 3 and support) and creates dependency on one another, which builds community. when everyone can do dps, cast fireballs, cast heals, wear armor, wield swords, shoot arrows, mez, kite, buff, and backstab, then everyone is ambiguous and there is no dependency whatsoever. you no longer search for a specific player who is a really good chanter or cleric or warrior, because you can just be all of those different people yourself whenever you want.

I think 40 classes is probably a bit of a gimmick, being that their skill sets are so small, you could take GenericMeleeClass01 and chop it up into 3-4 EQN classes. And while I don't prefer 10x hotbars full of nearly-identical skills, I think 4 (8 total with weapon slots) is a bit thin. I'm also a bit worried about having to always switch up my class b/c the next pack I come across isn't viable as the class I'm currently playing. Otherwise I'm pretty optimistic about the whole thing.

Teekey

Mr. Poopybutthole

velk

Trakanon Raider
I see a few mentions of 'advance as warrior' etc, was there any mention of what that actually involved ? Find/unlock new skills ? Increase hp ? Increase attributes ?

Actually, for that matter, any mention of whether they even have character attributes ?

I'm assuming it's of the 'mana is too complicated for our players' variety, but is it gw2 long cooldown style, generic fast recovering resource style or spam those hotkeys like an eq1 bard style ?

Teekey

Mr. Poopybutthole
am i misreading something? i was just proposing something that they could do that is similar/better. i agree with randin last points.

on my last post, hell you coould even drop restriction from going to one basetype (mage) to another (warrior)... so long as there is attribute costs going to and from classes.
He's a troll and broken record. Just ignore.

slicedmass_sl

shitlord
the holy trinity may suck, but it's also the only viable option. the only alternative that i've seen (so far) is to homogenize all the classes into a gigantic clusterfuck and just let everyone do everything, which isn't the answer either (see GW2). the trinity breaks everyone up into specific classes (main 3 and support) and creates dependency on one another, which builds community. when everyone can do dps, cast fireballs, cast heals, wear armor, wield swords, shoot arrows, mez, kite, buff, and backstab, then everyone is ambiguous and there is no dependency whatsoever. you no longer search for a specific player who is a really good chanter or cleric or warrior, because you can just be all of those different people yourself whenever you want.
I was talking to my bro about eqn and he made a great point. They wanted to get rid of the holy trinity to solve a problem of things like (its hard to find a healer, our healer left the guild etc) but they solved that with class switching and the fact u can level any class regardless of the class you are currently playing. Cant find a healer? Okay I'll be the healer till we find a dedicated one and I will level my rogue while I'm doing that. Or we take turns being a healer until we find the guy that likes that ability and wants to focus on it and be better because hes more geared/dedicated to being good as a healer. Still they found that they have to throw trinity out the window even though they had solved their conundrum.

Teekey

Mr. Poopybutthole
I think 40 classes is probably a bit of a gimmick, being that their skill sets are so small, you could take GenericMeleeClass01 and chop it up into 3-4 EQN classes. And while I don't prefer 10x hotbars full of nearly-identical skills, I think 4 (8 total with weapon slots) is a bit thin. I'm also a bit worried about having to always switch up my class b/c the next pack I come across isn't viable as the class I'm currently playing. Otherwise I'm pretty optimistic about the whole thing.
Yeah, I think this is where EverQuest Next meets League of Legends. They take an archetype and give them 12+ of the most iconic skills for that archetype. I'm not quite sure how I feel about it yet. In some ways it makes sense. Even in EverQuest you had a whole spellbook of spells, but you ended up using the 8 best onesallthe time - so why really design much more for any single class?

because you can just be all of those different people yourself whenever you want.
except in group content that requires those different roles / skills / classes from multiple players. You can't be everything at once. I totally get it that some people don't want the ability to be different classes on the same toon, but I'm sure most people have tons of alts also, and that's just a convoluted way of respeccing anyway.