EVE Online

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
tldr; ratting/agent running is considered pretty boring PVE by most of Eve. Exploration is better money and has a PVP element to it that might make it feel more engaging depending on what you want in a game.

Have you ever done exploration? I subbed last month and finished off Logi V while doing incursions. Decent isk/hour but pretty droll. People who like older-style MMO play where the mechanics are easy and you just chat probably would prefer that.

For the last few weeks I've been doing exploration in a cov ops. I initially decided to teach myself about wormholes and spent 2 weeks snatching loot from relic sites. I'd guess the isk/h there at 60-80 given how many fucking sigs C1-C3 wormholes have. Just recently, I decided to figure out if the people are full of shit when they say Sansha space is the best. They aren't. My isk/h is well over 100m there. It also is quasi-PVP. My ship has no guns. Other players know I'm a loot pinata, so they try to fuck with me sometimes but that makes it entertaining. Cov ops are incredibly hard to catch so it all balances out. I've since made a few billion and could "move up" to flying an Astero or Stratios (lets me do Sleeper Caches, which have like 400m-2bil PER cache, and also lets me kill other explorers instead of just running from everyone). I have tons of hours in my Cheetah though so I keep postponing it.

edit: if you ever want to take a stab at exploration shoot me a PM, I've already taught a few people the ins/outs. It really takes zero skill training to jump right into it; I see fucking T1 frigs all the time in null/w-space. If they die they don't give a shit... their ship is worth 2 mil and each site pays out far more than that.
I might take you up on this when I get everything turned in for the semester.

Eidal

Molten Core Raider
I might take you up on this when I get everything turned in for the semester.
Here is the PM I sent:

Here is a rough order that I'd look at:

* Go do the Advanced Tutorial Agent for Exploration; mess around with the ship and scanning interface. You want to build up familiarity with the procedure in high-sec before you go to null/jspace.
* Set up a skill plan for scanning; you eventually want: Archaeology V, Astrometric Aquisition/Rangefinding/Pinpointing IV, Astrometrics V. Its okay to work on these in increments; the first to V should be Arch so you can equip a Relic Analyzer II. I omitted Hacking because I don't even run that module; it used to be that Data sites were garbage... I've heard that CCP buffed it but it still seems like a waste of time to me.
* Set up a skill plan for ships. The rough order of progression for explorers are: T1 frigates (each race has a frig specialized for exploration) --> Covert Ops --> Astero/Stratios --> T3. Really, flying a cov ops is fine for making fat stacks of isk. Progressing further means you can kill other explorers; or for T3s, you could run some combat sites too. They're also much more expensive which skews the risk vs reward. For what its worth, I've been exploring for over a year and still use Cov Ops. I'm finishing off a scanning skill to IV then going to build up my drone skills to jump into Astero soon.

Preferably, you will be flying a Covert Ops with Cov Ops Cloaking Device (requires cloaking IV) before you leave high sec. That isn't necessary, it just makes operating in jspace/null far easier. If you get antsy and feel comfortable scanning and moving around you can always roll out in your T1 frig just for practice, make sure your clone is cheap and who cares if your 2 mil ship dies.

This should be enough to get started on over the next week or two. You want to feel exceedingly comfortable entering a system, dropping probes, warping off safely (cov ops cloak or MWD/cloak trick, google it), scanning, and collecting loot while monitoring Dscan (i.e., press dscan every 3-5 seconds). Note: many null systems are empty which means you don't have to be nearly on-guard.

If you get into it, I can take you on a null or jspace jaunt.

Arakkis

N00b
Is there still a few of you bitter vets in a worm hole corp? I would like to check out some of the recent changes, but want to do something different than coalition PvP or ratting. PM me if you don't want to chat in the thread.

Eidal

Molten Core Raider
I used to do a bit of exploring. Scanned down some WHs and went inside. Did some low sec scanning too, got some decent loot. That was a while ago and I think they changed scanning once or twice since. Forgot how most of it works.

eveboard - Laress Sansoul

It appears I had like everything BUT cov-ops trained.
You don't need Covert Ops. You have really strong drone skills so you may as well just poke around for Astero fits and adapt your training plan for that. Looking to move up to Statios/T3 whenever. You'll fail some cans until you get Arch V (for Relic Analyzer II).

Eidal

Molten Core Raider
Logged on this morning to get some sites in.

rrr_img_95203.png
This shows my typical hunting grounds. I've been "living" here for the last week -- its got Sansha Relic Sites (sweet iskies) and its pretty secluded. If I need more systems I just push south a bit further. I'm starting to recognize the locals and sort them into threat categories. I found a wormhole to low-sec right away which was fortunate since I was carrying a lot of loot.
rrr_img_95204.png
Nice! Wormhole drops me off 6 jumps from a hub. Quick jaunt over to Amarr and...
rrr_img_95205.jpg
Half a plex in the bank.

Headed back to the wormhole, jumped back into my area, and finished up the route. Logged off at a good northern point with a decent looking hold.
rrr_img_95206.png

Pretty sweet isk and very minimal threat -- once you get to know the locals you know when you ought to just move on and when you can run a site under their nose. If I don't recognize someone, I run their name through Eve-kill to get an idea of what they fly. One guy on this run was sitting in a system with a relic site and probes out. Explorers really don't like to run a site with another explorer in the system since its hard to tell if they're armed or not. Eve-kill showed me that he runs Cheetahs (very unlikely to have guns) so I quickly ran the site while he sat cloaked and watched like a pussy. Made 80 mil off it. I'd make even more isk if I flew a Stratios; I see Sleeper Caches quite frequently and they have 400-2bil in them. That also would open the doors into more PvP -- I bump into explorers all the time and it'd be nice to either smoke them (and potentially get some sweet drops) or bigdick them off the site.

Once you're familiar with how wormholes work you can always find a way home. Getting a direct null-empire link is sweet but it doesn't take long at all to jump into jspace and find a chain to empire. The other day I hit 400 mil, was drinking, and it was primetime. Running sites drunk with 400 mil is skewing the risk vs reward too much... I jumped into a C2, then into a C1, then into empire.

ronne

Nǐ hǎo, yǒu jīn zi ma?
Wormholes are the shizzle. It's basically all I do in Eve. Make fat stacks and get to hunt suckers once you fly a decent enough ship.

Data sites are a lot more of a gamble than relics, as they are usually pretty worthless, but you can get lucky and hit some killer BPOs in them on occasion.

Once you've done it for a while and maybe made some friends the real interesting bits start to happen when you find a c1-3 jump chain in to interesting parts of null etc.

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
Most of my experiences with wormholes involved acting lost in my Vexor and then trying to kill people who attacked me. Usually didn't actually get the kill.

Sylas

<Bronze Donator>
yo anyone give me a primer of the changes in the last 2 years? I heard a big one was jump drives changed a lot but don't know the specifics.

One day I will try wormholes. Until then, Highsec Merc reporting in
smile.png

I've been having a pretty good time hunting people down in highsec and getting paid for it. Plenty of content (pvp) without some of the annoyances of nullsec (hotdrops, blobs, bubbles, ect.) Hit me up in game if you are looking for merc work or just to chat.

ingame name: Samwise Everquest
Samwise Everquest | Character | zKillboard

Eidal

Molten Core Raider
Traak,

You should try hunting explorers. If you can run a cloaky ship, you're guaranteed to get kills if you pop into a wormhole in high-sec and sit in a relic site. Or, conversely, if you're bored -- I can bring you down to the Stain region where lots of explorers bounce around. All you do is scan out relics, bookmark them, then bounce around. Most explorers running a site won't bounce until they see probes. If you already have the site bookmarked you're one step ahead of them.

There is a guy down here that does exactly that and he has a pretty legit killboard.

Theodlard

Golden Knight of the Realm
yo anyone give me a primer of the changes in the last 2 years? I heard a big one was jump drives changed a lot but don't know the specifics.
Jump Drive = added JD fatigue which reduces the likely hood of being hot dropped from across the universeJD Fatigue and links
Industry = totally reworked the interface, less clicks, no more slots
Lots of ship balancing, slowly working on reducing number of meta mods
Have added two t3 destroyers, two more to go

Big plans on fixing null sec sov and reworking POS/Outposts in the coming year

The list is incomplete but that's a quick summary

Theodlard

Yes, but they get a reduction in the timer. JF is a 90% reduction on distance traveled, blackops 50%, still have a base timer to contend with though.

Slyminxy

Lord Nagafen Raider
I used to do a bit of exploring. Scanned down some WHs and went inside. Did some low sec scanning too, got some decent loot. That was a while ago and I think they changed scanning once or twice since. Forgot how most of it works.

eveboard - Laress Sansoul

It appears I had like everything BUT cov-ops trained.
Just in case you've gotten some lust after Sansha relic sites, avoid Providence. I'm kindly letting you know that you're _still_ red (KOS) to Providence and will be shot on sight by any of the local residents, including me.
Come through our space while red and I'll guarantee you quickest path back to your clone home
wink.png

Sylas

<Bronze Donator>
heh provi is still rolling with the NRDS I see? some things never change.

I just reactivated my account after 2 year hiatus and am trying to get a handle on all the changes. I play weird TZ with DT smack dab in the middle of my play time, and no one I remember is online. Do people still kick around in the foh channel? thinking about dicking around with exploration/wh stuff to make some bankroll. before I quit I was saving up for a supercap but with the portal and jump drive changes i'm wondering if they are still worth anything? there were like 300+ titans in game 2 years ago, i'm sure there's over a thousand now, and if they aren't worth much they might be cheaper? I had a drug deal worked out for an avatar for 60bil (they were about 110bil at the time) but then that fell through and I deployed and stopped playing.

Theodlard

Last number I saw on titans was average built per quarter was 70, that was from fanfest last year, so there are a lot of them out there. The pricing is about the same as what you remember for titans, full fitted will run between 110-120b.

90Proof_sl

shitlord
Finished all the new tutorial missions on my rookie character.

Date of Birth: 2015.04.19 13:19:33
Current Skills: 51 (Skill Points: 263,849.00)

Pator Tech School 3.07 (Good)

Sylas

<Bronze Donator>
So is there a channel still going for folks here or do i just play during the wrong tz

Palum

what Suineg set it to
How is the Confessor, is it capable of doing anything PvE? I really like the smaller ships but I always end up getting back into a Raven or Mach just for efficiency.