EVE Online

ronne

Nǐ hǎo, yǒu jīn zi ma?
Well, my plan for mining right now is to just try and make some money. Looking at some of the more advanced combat-type ships and the requirements for them I don't see much point in even trying when starting from 0. It's like months of skill training to fly anything worthwhile it seems so I'd rather just try and build up a money pile and maybe buy a combat pilot later on if I'm still interested.

I do think I need to find a corporation though, they can control the nullsec spaces right, so in theory if I found a decent one I could have sort of a protected area to mine more lucrative ore stuffs in?

Erronius

Macho Ma'am
<Gold Donor>
You can make a fuckton more money in something like a wormhole corp than by mining or missioning. Plus you can plan what you train for along whatever lines the corp needs so you don't end up having months spent training skills that you end up not using. And when it comes to ships, I;d be willing to bet that a lot of corps just have fat stacks of cheap ships and modules that they could throw at you.

That's just my 2 cents but /shrug

Arakkis

N00b
There are much better ways of making isk than mining. Like joining the FOH channel and saying you are a newbie. That should net you more isk than you would make in a month of mining. Also, you can be useful to the biggest 0.0 corps after 2 days of training. Go find a fun corp to join with a decent newbie program and actually do fun things.

ronne

Nǐ hǎo, yǒu jīn zi ma?
I talked to some dudes in the FoH channel a bit tonight and yea it sounds like mining just isn't the way to make cash.

How is the payout for the scanning/hacking type stuff? I've already got a fair bit of that trained so could give that a try for dicking around doing solo stuff. Otherwise I guess I'll just train stuff that looks useful for everything for a while and see what happens. I assume stuff like cpu and power grid management are needed at max for everything ya?

pointyboot

Bronze Knight of the Realm
I talked to some dudes in the FoH channel a bit tonight and yea it sounds like mining just isn't the way to make cash.

How is the payout for the scanning/hacking type stuff? I've already got a fair bit of that trained so could give that a try for dicking around doing solo stuff. Otherwise I guess I'll just train stuff that looks useful for everything for a while and see what happens. I assume stuff like cpu and power grid management are needed at max for everything ya?
it seems like you're pretty much playing right into the typical role of a player that quits because they didn't join a corp and hung out in hi-sec and low-sec, like myself. your not gonna make jack shit or have the knowledge on what to train until you join a corp. you can be effective in combat in literally minutes after joining a corp.

this is not eq and not wow. you do not "level up" then join a guild. you join a corp FIRST, THEN you kill shit, THEN you start figuring the game out.

everywhere you look people will give you this same advice.. and for a reason.

quick and easy advice is to join these guysBrave Newbies

Whidon

Blackwing Lair Raider
So I started playing this for the first time ever. Takes a bit of getting used too but it's pretty neat so far. Very interesting change from regular MMO fare.

I finished the career tutorial missions and now I'm mostly lost as to what I could/should be doing. Just been flying around in my dinky little mining ship trying to sneak in to lower security space and mine some better ores. Haven't gotten blown up yet, but it's slow going as I have to flee from pirates.

Is there like a "next step" kind of thing I can move on to, or are you just on your own to figure out what you want to do? Also, can I train skills any faster somehow, temporary boosts or anything? It's like a week to finish training my mining to 5 and that kinda hurts.
Hey, i think we talked online but I feel like Faction warfare is great for newbies. You can make a ton of isk while learning to pvp in a low risk enviro where you can actually really contribute. Check out Dirt "n" glitter they are very good and newbie friendly Amarr facwar corp.

If you want to do the scanning stuff you can make a bunch of Isk off relic/data sites. ill pay more combat site bookmarks along with WH. just gotta make sure my ceo will be ok setting you blue.

ronne

Nǐ hǎo, yǒu jīn zi ma?
Yea I'd be down to try this scanning plan, sounds like it'd be decent to do while I'm at work. I've got almost all the scanning skills at 3 already anyway and rigging will be 3 by the morning so I should be decent enough at it.

Slyminxy

Lord Nagafen Raider
Yea I'd be down to try this scanning plan, sounds like it'd be decent to do while I'm at work. I've got almost all the scanning skills at 3 already anyway and rigging will be 3 by the morning so I should be decent enough at it.
You could make some decent isk with scanning/exploration skills down in Null. While you're still true neutral, come down to Providence and try some null-sec exploration sites. Just follow the basic CVA rules on scanned sites and you'll be fine (If you get into TSOE space, we've got a bit of different rules), links below.

Also a good thing to check your standings before flying down -CVA KOS - Kill On Sight
CVA space -Screenshot by Lightshot
TSOE space -Screenshot by Lightshot

Can't say what to do in other regions, who to contact since I'm obviously not in those regions.

Agraza

Registered Hutt
What's a jovian?
The 5th race. Allegedly they weren't affected by the wormhole to earth closing, so they're super advanced while the rest of humanity went dark age and eventually re-emerged as spacefaring empires as the 4 races. Jovian space is in the game, but it's not connected to the rest of the gate network. It's CCP space basically. They hold the tournaments there iirc.

Whidon

Blackwing Lair Raider
The 5th race. Allegedly they weren't affected by the wormhole to earth closing, so they're super advanced while the rest of humanity went dark age and eventually re-emerged as spacefaring empires as the 4 races. Jovian space is in the game, but it's not connected to the rest of the gate network. It's CCP space basically. They hold the tournaments there iirc.
It's possibly nothing but CCP dropped sov in Jovian space for some reason. Still, don't get your hopes up about seeing it become accessible anytime soon.

ronne

Nǐ hǎo, yǒu jīn zi ma?
You could make some decent isk with scanning/exploration skills down in Null. While you're still true neutral, come down to Providence and try some null-sec exploration sites. Just follow the basic CVA rules on scanned sites and you'll be fine (If you get into TSOE space, we've got a bit of different rules), links below.

Also a good thing to check your standings before flying down -CVA KOS - Kill On Sight
CVA space -Screenshot by Lightshot
TSOE space -Screenshot by Lightshot

Can't say what to do in other regions, who to contact since I'm obviously not in those regions.
Hmm so those dudes will let me just fly around in their 0.0 areas doing probes and shit? Smells like an easy way to lose the few ships I have.

Eidal

Molten Core Raider
Hmm so those dudes will let me just fly around in their 0.0 areas doing probes and shit? Smells like an easy way to lose the few ships I have.
The last two times I played Eve I did a lot of null-sec exploration in hostile space. It's hard as fuck to catch a covert ops ship -- it pretty much takes a super-dedicated stealth bomber who is willing to pre-bookmark exploration sites and then patrol a series of systems hoping you start the hack and he can enter system / warp to right bookmark before you back off and cloak. No smart explorer hacks cans with unknown people in the system, its just too expedient to wait until they leave or go somewhere else.

The most common way explorers die is at gatecamps between highsec/0.0; but smart explorers just scan out a wormhole when they're ready to go home and use wspace to find a safe way back to high sec.

Slyminxy

Lord Nagafen Raider
Hmm so those dudes will let me just fly around in their 0.0 areas doing probes and shit?
Pretty much. As long as you don't get flagged red, you'll be fine. And as long as you're aware that other neutrals may actually be reds.
As far as Eidal mentioned for someone pre-bookmarking stuff, you won't see that in Providence, since most sites are eliminated quite soon, there's pretty much a lot of explorers/scanners going around.

If you're going to come down to Providence, be aware that Shintaht and Kari pipes are almost always camped by reds. Our pipe from Shousran -> N8 not so much, I mean, there are occasional red bubbles on Misaba gate in R3K, but you should be fine with a warpy cloaky.

Shoot me a PM and we can talk more.

ronne

Nǐ hǎo, yǒu jīn zi ma?
Is buying/selling pilots relatively safe here? I'm like 2 weeks in to this and have ~700k skill points, which means I'm looking at like another 3 months minimum before I can do anything worth a damn in pvp.

I'd rather just buy something with some of the basic engineering/upgrade skills etc already trained and decide what I want to do with it from there if that's an option.

Malakriss

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Legitimate EVE character sales are ISK only purchases through their official forums. They do police and ban account sales for real $$$ so be warned.

ronne

Nǐ hǎo, yǒu jīn zi ma?
So I could like, buy a half dozen plex and trade them for some random ~10m sp pilot and skip all this engineering and bullshit training?

Arakkis

N00b
And quit in a month because you start punching above your weight class. Go join Brave with the character you have. They just killed a Pandemic Legiontitan.Yes, a corp made of mostly people with as many SP as you have killed the biggest baddest ship piloted by one of the guys in the biggest baddest alliance in the game. You could have been the guy that landed the killing shot on that ship.

Uriel

Blackwing Lair Raider
Might as well wait until Tuesday. WASD flying should be fun, plus the new rendering engine will change how ships look for the better.