Final Fantasy XIV (Guide in first post)

xmod2

<Gold Donor>
Arms length + sentinel + FoF for first pull -> Reprisal + rampart + requiescat for second pull. -> Boss.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Grizzlebeard

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Well shit, I’ve been using Arm’s Length all this time as an anti-knock back/draw-in and never knew about the damage reduction element.

Chris

Potato del Grande
Thanks guys that's going to be so helpful. I was just using reprisal then 2-3 cooldowns depending on pack and whatever healing mechanic the class has.

Next I'm going to be told that sleep and surecast have uses lol.

Chysamere

FF14 Free Company Master
<WoW Guild Officer>
Sleep is also as essential strat in Baldesion Arsenal to deal with some of the nastier npcs in there. They ask that you bring Death to deal with those specifically once they are slept.

• 1Like

Sylas

<Gold Donor>
It's interesting reading about skills ill eventually have or skills that i already have that i will eventually use, but when? Are they only used in raiding, or will i eventually use them in higher level party dungeons? Like an estimate, around what level will i need to start using defensive cooldowns?

xmod2

<Gold Donor>
If you're tanking, you want to be using them when you can so you can pull bigger in dungeons. Low level is actually harder than higher level just because nobody has any buttons to press. The design of the pre-SB dungeons also has way more trash per wall, which can get hairy.

In general, most non rotation abilities will be situational stuff in group/higher end content. MSQ is literally just walking between NPCs and reading a digital novel.

phisey

Buzzfeed Editor
Sleep is also as essential strat in Baldesion Arsenal to deal with some of the nastier npcs in there. They ask that you bring Death to deal with those specifically once they are slept.

Don't really need to death them but sleep is a must to interrupt the Centaurs' Berserk thing or tanks get wrecked.

Chris

Potato del Grande
It's interesting reading about skills ill eventually have or skills that i already have that i will eventually use, but when? Are they only used in raiding, or will i eventually use them in higher level party dungeons? Like an estimate, around what level will i need to start using defensive cooldowns?
In dungeons you want to be pulling 2 packs at a time and aoeing them down, sprint between the packs and tank cooldowns are used when you pick up the second pack so that you don't die. I did this in Sastasha yesterday so you can absolutley do this from the start as long as your gear is above or equal to the level of the dungeon.

Dungeon/Raid Bosses also have "tank buster" abilities which require you to pop a few cooldowns to survive, every boss will eventually have a variation of one. These are always clearly indicated in Endwalker (80+) content with a red circle over the tank, they are also in Shadowbringers (70+) but not always telegraphed so you need to watch out for them. They do appear before this and sometimes telegraphed but less consistently.

If you play right these huge damage abilities can be mitigated and healed by yourself, which frees up the healer to do damage instead of healing you, speeding up the dungeon/raid.

The first Endwalker Extreme Trial at lv90 for example has a telegraphed aoe tankbuster which also debuffs the tank, with the next hit usually being fatal. So you need to move out of the raid, pop cooldowns, hope the other tank uses Provoke to tank swap, then use Shirk to drop aggro so that your dps doesn't regain aggro.

Sylas

<Gold Donor>
If you're tanking, you want to be using them when you can so you can pull bigger in dungeons. Low level is actually harder than higher level just because nobody has any buttons to press. The design of the pre-SB dungeons also has way more trash per wall, which can get hairy.

In general, most non rotation abilities will be situational stuff in group/higher end content. MSQ is literally just walking between NPCs and reading a digital novel.
Well that's kinda hard since its my first time in any of these dungeons. I am just following someone who knows where to go and when we get to a room i pull aggro on everything.

The first 4 newbie dungeons didn't really have many adds, like a hallway/room with a pack or 2 then miniboss/boss. When do dungeons start having lots of adds? And is there a site with maps so i can familiarize myself with pulls before hand?

xmod2

<Gold Donor>
There are lots of adds because you pull from the entrance to the boss in one big pull. They call it 'wall to wall' and you basically just run until you can't run any more then park and the group AEs down the pack. If you are so low level that you are with players who don't have their AEs yet (30-50 this gets better) you can be more cautious. Tanking the dungeons really is just about gauging your healer's ability to keep you alive. Low level you also don't have a lot of cooldowns, that's where non-standard play like tabbing through and shield stunning the mobs as a paladin becomes a pretty viable defensive tactic. But yeah, when you go in a dungeon, spin to win and just spam AE while running until you have a pile that will almost kill you, then park it.

Later when you hit higher level dungeons, they design the dungeons so you end up hitting blocks after 2-3 packs of mobs, which makes it easier to know when to stop.

Chris

Potato del Grande
Well that's kinda hard since its my first time in any of these dungeons. I am just following someone who knows where to go and when we get to a room i pull aggro on everything.

The first 4 newbie dungeons didn't really have many adds, like a hallway/room with a pack or 2 then miniboss/boss. When do dungeons start having lots of adds? And is there a site with maps so i can familiarize myself with pulls before hand?
What level are you and what level is your highest unlocked dungeon?

Sylas

<Gold Donor>
I'm 31, i have the first 4 newbie dungeons unlocked? I also found that palace of the dead thing someone was talking about in this thread but I didnt go in it.

• 1Worf

Chris

Potato del Grande
I'm 31, i have the first 4 newbie dungeons unlocked? I also found that palace of the dead thing someone was talking about in this thread but I didnt go in it.
You should have more dungeons unlocked, there's 6 at that level and a 7th at 32. No wonder you are annoyed if you only have the first 4 and they scale you down to around lv20.

I'm assuming the mobs you are fighting in the open world are way below your level?

You are probably getting an exp boost from being on an non congested realm or are doing lots of extra dungeons/fates for exp.

On your first job your level is basically whatever the level of the MSQ is, there's no point rushing ahead of the MSQ level as everything is unlocked via MSQ until you hit max level. So you are doing lv23 content max right now.

Best thing to do is level a second job to soak up the extra exp, some people last year were even getting 3rd jobs levelled. Once they are caught up to the MSQ level it's actually no extra work to do this, you just change which class does the next quest each time or something.

Sylas

<Gold Donor>
you guys really should start a brand new character so you experience the game as it stands currently :p Guess what, you get no skills for like 30 levels. and you level past the MSQ quick. Hence my questions in this thread.

per all the new player guides/recommendations in this thread I have avoided every single quest other than the MSQ and the class quests. Even avoided most of the blue ones except the mount (which the game tells you is required to complete ARR MSQ). I have done every dungeon/trial that the MSQ has given me exactly 1 time as required to advance the story. I avoid every open world mob that doesn't aggro me and now that I have a mount I pretty much avoid every open world mob. I am doing as little as possible to gain experience outside of doing the MSQ. I did a few fates in the early levels (around level 5) only because the MSQ had me go to places where fates were spawned and forced me to fight them anyway.

There is no such thing as a non-congested realm. There are full realms which don't allow you to create new characters on *at all*, such as all of Aether and most of Primal and Crystal, and there are like 5 servers where you can create a character. Guess this is new since they reopened sales, the earlier guides said you could still make a character on congested servers if you did it at off hours but that is no longer the case.

Of course the game doesn't tell you that you can't actually make a character on that data center/server until after you've already created your character. Luckily the game makes you save your character creation choices so it wasn't a huge PITA to choose a different data center and start over, but I did have to google what servers allow you to create characters on, and in the process of doing so found a site that described the player base of each server, which was really lucky because I was about to roll on the *heavy erotic furry roleplay* server.

Trust me I am doing absolutely nothing to "rush" leveling. I have the flower next to my name for being a new player which I guess gives me an exp bonus, but my level is 100% how the game is currently tuned. my MSQ is 23, and my actual level is 32.

All I did last night was unlock the Warrior class and get bummed out that it didn't actually change anything, I dont get my first warrior skill until 35. And I learned about changing my chickens color:

fucking tall2.jpg

Last edited:

Chris

Potato del Grande
you guys really should start a brand new character so you experience the game as it stands currently :p Guess what, you get no skills for like 30 levels. and you level past the MSQ quick. Hence my questions in this thread.

per all the new player guides/recommendations in this thread I have avoided every single quest other than the MSQ and the class quests. Even avoided most of the blue ones except the mount (which the game tells you is required to complete ARR MSQ). I have done every dungeon/trial that the MSQ has given me exactly 1 time as required to advance the story. I avoid every open world mob that doesn't aggro me and now that I have a mount I pretty much avoid every open world mob. I am doing as little as possible to gain experience outside of doing the MSQ. I did a few fates in the early levels (around level 5) only because the MSQ had me go to places where fates were spawned and forced me to fight them anyway.

There is no such thing as a non-congested realm. There are full realms which don't allow you to create new characters on *at all*, such as all of Aether and most of Primal and Crystal, and there are like 5 servers where you can create a character. Guess this is new since they reopened sales, the earlier guides said you could still make a character on congested servers if you did it at off hours but that is no longer the case.

Of course the game doesn't tell you that you can't actually make a character on that data center/server until after you've already created your character. Luckily the game makes you save your character creation choices so it wasn't a huge PITA to choose a different data center and start over, but I did have to google what servers allow you to create characters on, and in the process of doing so found a site that described the player base of each server, which was really lucky because I was about to roll on the *heavy erotic furry roleplay* server.

Trust me I am doing absolutely nothing to "rush" leveling. I have the flower next to my name for being a new player which I guess gives me an exp bonus, but my level is 100% how the game is currently tuned. my MSQ is 23, and my actual level is 32.

All I did last night was unlock the Warrior class and get bummed out that it didn't actually change anything, I dont get my first warrior skill until 35. And I learned about changing my chickens color:

View attachment 397477
Yeah so you need to level another class (or two) to soak up the MSQ exp, which is a huge advantage over older players who played through before the MSQ exp was buffed.

If I were you I would go unlock and level up Thamaturge (later Black Mage) and use the Hunting Log to level it up to lv23 which should be fairly quick and the gameplay is different than melee classes.

Then use that class for the MSQ until both are lv32 at which point you can alternate between them. If you start to outlevel the MSQ again you could pick up a 3rd class.

Around lv35 MSQ you hit Coerthas which is MUCH better as it's basically a Heavensward zone 15 levels early.

You have good complaints and the early game does need revamping but I think it's better long term than the WoW solution of playing half an expansion to lv50 then being kicked out into Shadowlands without knowing what is going on.

Sylas

<Gold Donor>
i've bitched for the last 10 pages about not having enough skills to even know if I like this class or know how it plays and how boring it is pressing 1, then 2 over and over again between cut scenes and your solution is start a 2nd class at level 1 and repeat that experience for another 32 (34 now) levels because the msq throws too much experience at you? hehe, you really want me to quit this game don't you?

take a look at my hotbar in that screen shot, like I said i'm 34 now (MSQ 24) and nothings changed it's still identical. And that's being a little generous, the 2nd to the last skill is my interrupt which i've fought all of 2 things ever that I could even use it on (flashy red cast bars, thanks koush) so it doesn't really deserve a spot on my hotbar, but muscle memory maps interrupts to that key in every other game so there it sits.

I probably will end up taking your advice and picking up a second class but if it takes it 30 levels to get more than 2 skills will I even be able to tell if the gameplay is different?