Final Fantasy XIV (Guide in first post)

sakkath

Trakanon Raider
Play tank. A huge number of the dungeon bosses in this xpac are solo able. It does feel just punishing your dead party by making them stand there for 5 minutes watching you slowly grind the bosses down.

• 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 user

Malakriss

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Give black mages a self heal or rezz, it's disheartening when the healers are the ones failing all the mechanics and dying and the dps would be right there with the tanks if they could be as self sufficient.

Folanlron

Trakanon Raider
but at least they give you a healer LB3 for when people inevitably fuck up Absolute Authority. I have no idea who the fuck thought it was a good idea to put a Savage/Grand Cross like mechanic in a story mode, but I don't have the patience for this shit anymore, especially for something that's going to be popping in DF. People can call me a casual if they want; I don't care.

It's actually really easy if you "look" at all the mechs going off, the only time I died to it was when I first saw it, and the only thing I said was, "Kitchen Sink Thrown" There is actually a pattern to it and it's incredibly easy.. I think I'm gonna hate Ex though if they add a random element.

Malakriss

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Patch notes and class changes are up.

Umbral Soul (BLM) - Now grants Umbral Ice III, 3 Umbral Hearts, and restores 10,000 MP when used while outside of combat.

3a247a30e096e56b701157cd9fb903299a244c2f_10.png

Chysamere

FF14 Free Company Master
<WoW Guild Officer>
Doesn't fix the problem that Flare Star is pointless .. for what it takes to achieve it it's not worth it.

I wouldn't say it's pointless. BLM did have room for an extra spell in it's fire rotation and it does have a higher potency. You will activate flare star regardless if you are playing optimally.

The problem is that it just feels like more of the same. It's exactly the same as Despair except you cast it 2nd last instead of last in your rotation. It's not a fresh new interesting ability like other classes got.

Chysamere

FF14 Free Company Master
<WoW Guild Officer>

"The sound effect of the crafter action Trained Perfection has been changed."​

Thank goodness.

Datacenter travel is back up too. Surprised how much I missed it. Hopefully they got rid of the 30 minute AFK logout timer too.

Folanlron

Trakanon Raider
I wouldn't say it's pointless. BLM did have room for an extra spell in it's fire rotation and it does have a higher potency. You will activate flare star regardless if you are playing optimally.

The problem is that it just feels like more of the same. It's exactly the same as Despair except you cast it 2nd last instead of last in your rotation. It's not a fresh new interesting ability like other classes got.

They destroyed BLM "flexibility" for a 400 potency DD ..

Ya so worth it.

Chysamere

FF14 Free Company Master
<WoW Guild Officer>
They destroyed BLM "flexibility" for a 400 potency DD ..

Ya so worth it.

I'll take the extra potency. They also gave more potency buffs this patch. There's plenty of flexibility in the rotation now since Thunder is a guaranteed cast going into Ice phase and you have a full free fire phase after casting Despair. I'm not having any trouble finding room for everything I want to cast.

What I'll agree on is that giving us an entirely new hud item and having us charge up 6 times for the reward we get is entirely underwhelming. It's laughable how little potency the regular, more difficult BLM spells to cast give compared to Xenoglossy which is not only way more powerful but also instant cast.

Flare Star is great for AOE though., You only need to cast 2 Flares to get it, and with the new manafont and a triplecast you can do quad flare, double Flare star, very satisfying.

Folanlron

Trakanon Raider
I don't AoE .. like at all because 99% of the fights I do are either single target or targets have gimmicks(Like Omega F/M, AoE would be pointless)

If they would let us "store" the charge and use it when we wanted to, instead of only being able to use it during Fire Phase, ya sure, still doesn't excuse how shit the damage is.

Seems they added back the Ice paradox if we are Fire III when we flip, yay at least 1 thing.

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
Xeno has a 30s "cooldown" though. Also Flare Star is a fire spell so it benefits from Astral Fire III so it's technically 720 potency(80% bonus)

Folanlron

Trakanon Raider
Xeno has a 30s "cooldown" though. Also Flare Star is a fire spell so it benefits from Astral Fire III so it's technically 720 potency(80% bonus)

If you are rolling thru a fight the 30s timer on Xeno is faster then the timer vs Flare Star. At least Xeno/Foul build up when I am in either Fire/Ice phase.

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
If you are rolling thru a fight the 30s timer on Xeno is faster then the timer vs Flare Star. At least Xeno/Foul build up when I am in either Fire/Ice phase.
Right I guess but ultimately Flare Star is part of the main rotation so makes sense it does less damage. It is very disappointing as an ability and feels like the RDM "and you get another finisher after your finisher" thing that happened in EW, but worse cause the RDM one is instant cast, better looking and does actually big damage.

Ultimately I don't care much for BLM changes, it's one of the first class I leveled to get rid of my casting gear since I leveled PCT first and I'm likely not touching it until next expansion. Honestly feels like there's no reason to play it over PCT, PCT is just easier to play without any constraints and also has some party utility(10% shield and heal every 2mins).

Folanlron

Trakanon Raider
Right I guess but ultimately Flare Star is part of the main rotation so makes sense it does less damage. It is very disappointing as an ability and feels like the RDM "and you get another finisher after your finisher" thing that happened in EW, but worse cause the RDM one is instant cast, better looking and does actually big damage.

Ultimately I don't care much for BLM changes, it's one of the first class I leveled to get rid of my casting gear since I leveled PCT first and I'm likely not touching it until next expansion. Honestly feels like there's no reason to play it over PCT, PCT is just easier to play without any constraints and also has some party utility(10% shield and heal every 2mins).

If I wanted to play healer, I'd play healer..

I want to do big damage, thats it.

What I've played of Pict ehh it has some interesting ideas, but *shrug*

Cybsled

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
What the fuck is with the mega Samurai nerfs???? Worst of all, they super nerfed the self heal - 500 to 200 and now its a regen instead of a full heal.

edit: Ah, just noticed we have perma double midare now. I guess that explains it lol

Detailing on the new tomestone gear is nice - tanks get the Tulali guard armor it seems

1722347350251.jpeg

Last edited:
  • 1Like

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
What the fuck is with the mega Samurai nerfs???? Worst of all, they super nerfed the self heal - 500 to 200 and now its a regen instead of a full heal.

edit: Ah, just noticed we have perma double midare now. I guess that explains it lol

Detailing on the new tomestone gear is nice - tanks get the Tulali guard armor it seems
The heal is also better, it's 200 potency per tick, for 3 ticks(ticks are 3s each, duration is 9s) so 600 potency total. I think the important part is it starts healing right away, the old one was ass cause it only healed after the whole duration, and by that time a healer probably threw some random single target oGCD at you, but now they might see 2 ticks and not bother. Also better if you need healing before the hit, you'll be able to top yourself off a bit before a big hit which can save you if you were low.

No idea if perma tsubame makes up for the dmg, they say it's higher than before but need some time to see numbers, but yeah it's a pretty interesting change to the gameplay.

• 1Like

Valorath

Trakanon Raider
I guess I missed the memo on BLM AOE. Is it not High Fire 2 twice, triple cast, flare, flare, flare star, manafont, triple cast, flare, flare, flare star, high blizzard 2, freeze, rinse repeat without the triple casts? And cast thunder in each ice/fire phase?

Browsing around Reddit it seems there’s something janky with transpose and not getting Umbral hearts, I guess to go faster into and back to fire?

I didn’t play BLM much last expansion, mostly healed.

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
I guess I missed the memo on BLM AOE. Is it not High Fire 2 twice, triple cast, flare, flare, flare star, manafont, triple cast, flare, flare, flare star, high blizzard 2, freeze, rinse repeat without the triple casts? And cast thunder in each ice/fire phase?

Browsing around Reddit it seems there’s something janky with transpose and not getting Umbral hearts, I guess to go faster into and back to fire?

I didn’t play BLM much last expansion, mostly healed.
Apparently it's more damage to just skip the High Fire in fire, so you go High Fire to go from ice to fire, then directly flare flare flarestar(then high bliz > freeze > loop)

Chysamere

FF14 Free Company Master
<WoW Guild Officer>

View attachment 538978

• 1Worf

Cybsled

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
Random tidbit, but Soken mentioned that the singer for the bee song was one of the localization editors. Didn’t say who it was, though.

Although seems to fit tradition - Koji did vocals for some of the ARR and HW songs, like Alexander