Furiosa (2024)

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
I think the last thing keeping "going to the movies" an experience for me was that the theater near us did funnel cakes.... then @Mrs. Haus got a wild hair and taught herself how to make good funnel cakes... so there is that... heh
You fat fuck

• 2Worf
Reactions: 1 users

Bald Brah

Silver Knight of the Realm
I think the bigger problem is that we, as a society, might just be "over" the idea of going to movie theaters to see things. That Covid followed by the one/two punch of two strikes, and then the general malaise caused by too many sequels , too much "playing it safe", and too much "formula to print money" just might have mortally wounded cinema as we know it. I'm a huge Dune fan, but still waited for it to be able to be streamed to the massive screen and sound system I have in the next room.

I think the last thing keeping "going to the movies" an experience for me was that the theater near us did funnel cakes.... then @Mrs. Haus got a wild hair and taught herself how to make good funnel cakes... so there is that... heh
Nah plenty of movies have made half a billion or more post covid. The new shitty apes movie is doing okay.

We'll see what happens with Wolverine and Deadpool. Two white alpha male leads. Something we never ever see in the movies anymore. It'll garner a few bucks from me just for the casting. So stunning and brave in this DEI era. I feel I have to support my fellow white homies if I don't want to see white male leads go extinct. And precisely why I won't spend any money on black or female led entertainment. I want to see more inclusiveness. Of white guys.

• 3Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 3 users

Haus

<Silver Donator>
Nah plenty of movies have made half a billion or more post covid. The new shitty apes movie is doing okay.

We'll see what happens with Wolverine and Deadpool. Two white alpha male leads. Something we never ever see in the movies anymore. It'll garner a few bucks from me just for the casting. So stunning and brave in this DEI era. I feel I have to support my fellow white homies if I don't want to see white male leads go extinct. And precisely why I won't spend any money on black or female led entertainment. I want to see more inclusiveness.

Yeah, that should be a good test. If the movie sticks to the Deadpool formula of "Give the fans what you know they want, and make it gratuitous while you do it" and see how it fares. I just don't like to throw the problems under the now all encompassing blanket of "They went too woke/DEI/the MESSAGE!"

Although I think even if it hauls in a mountain of cash I don't know if they will be able to help themselves and keep producing content in that vein.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Koushirou

Log Wizard
<Gold Donor>
Eh, this was okay. Action sequences were fine. Didn't feel super girlbossy. The beginning was definitely slow and spent too much time on her childhood. There's also a massive fucking plot hole after she gets to the Citadel. It kinda just ruined most of the rest of the movie. Like...no reaction? What-so-ever? Stupid. There's practically no interaction with her and Immortan Joe to see why he eventually has her as an imperator. Maybe should have trimmed out some of the beginning to actually show some more of that 40 days war. Praetorian Jack just wasn't realistic to me. Missing/weak motivations for why he is the way he is. Hell, there's no interaction with her and the wives to see her thoughts of getting them out of the Citadel, never see her mentioning the green place to them, etc. For a movie supposed to be about filling in someone's backstory, there's a shitload missing that they just didn't have at all or are expecting you to infer.

• 4Like

Bald Brah

Silver Knight of the Realm
Yeah, that should be a good test. If the movie sticks to the Deadpool formula of "Give the fans what you know they want, and make it gratuitous while you do it" and see how it fares. I just don't like to throw the problems under the now all encompassing blanket of "They went too woke/DEI/the MESSAGE!"

Although I think even if it hauls in a mountain of cash I don't know if they will be able to help themselves and keep producing content in that vein.

The whole 'put a chick in it and make her gay' is only funny because it's true. It's what they've been doing the last 5 or so years with big budget productions. Furiosa could be the best movie ever made and it won't get a dime from me. I'm done with their bullshit.

• 3Like
  • 1Solidarity

Sevens

Log Wizard
i dont watch Romcoms, but arent they mostly about chicks who fall in love with their hunky male bosses or coworkers? or some rich/famous hunky guy enters their lives randomly and hilarity ensues? a movie entirely about a gang of girlfriends going shopping every weekend and meeting sexy men along the way sounds like a recipe for success. of course it has to have the usual bitches talking shit about their friends appearances/clothes/relationships when they leave the room.
That's called Sex and the City

• 1Like

Sevens

Log Wizard
It was very good, just not amazing like Fury Road. It felt a bit long but personnally I didn't mind at all, it allowed for some very good visuals and worldbuilding. Not really sure where the girlboss movie complaints are coming from, obviously we know future Furiosa is a badass in Fury Road so it has to come from somewhere, but this story is mostly about her getting abused/kidnapped by men, and the rest is sniping or shooting people and running from fights / using her brain to get out of trouble, so it's not like it's a 90 pound chick kicking the ass of manly men.. in fact she owes a lot of what she becomes in Fury Road to... a man who teaches her how to drive a war rig and be an imperator. The audacity.

Chris Hemsworth was interesting as a villain, the character felt a little more complex than some of the other card-carrying villains in the setting. It was cool to see many Fury Road actors / characters returning.

The soundtrack was pretty good, but nothing felt quite as good as the few parts with Brothers in Arms playing (not loudly enough as was pointed out elsewhere in this thread but still great to hear it, it's so damn good).
See, it's not that we just hate women protagonist because they are women (See Ridley from Alien/s). And the fact that she isn't just flinging men around willy nilly is great....but I (and a lot of others I know) are just sick of having the whole "women as action stars" shoved down our throat. I'm just sick of every movie having to have some strong independent woman as the fucking lead. I don't want it, I won't support it. Fuck DEI

• 4Like

Ome

Trakanon Raider
Tuesday night (which is over 50% off ticket prices) in San Diego and besides me and my 3 boys, there were a total 5 other people watching. Not good at all. As for the movie I pretty much agree with most of whats been said, little long but overall pretty decent.

• 2Like

Sevens

Log Wizard
ca-times.brightspotcdn.jpg

Don't get me wrong, she is hot and I would hurt myself just to fuck her but...
Something just seems off about her, alien almost.

• 1Like

cabbitcabbit

NeoGaf Donator
I have not seen anyone give it a bad review. So you might be kind of retarded. Classic FOH indeed.

The only criticism I have seen is it's a bit long and was marketed wrong.

I will definitely see this when it comes to streaming. I used to go to the theater at least once a month but since Covid I'm just over it. I'd rather watch it at home.
Yeah it’s not a “run to the cinema” see but it’s enjoyable. I can’t think of the last movie that was besides maybe endgame. We all have pretty decent home set ups now that ape the theater experience.

I actually really enjoy sitting in a nigh-empty theater on a Saturday afternoon so the slow death of chains is my jam.

• 2Like

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
For a movie supposed to be about filling in someone's backstory, there's a shitload missing that they just didn't have at all or are expecting you to infer.
They probably thought the whole 'Joe filled her to the brim several times and then tossed her in a gutter when she never got pregnant' thing would offend all the women who were never gonna go see the movie in the first place so they just kinda glazed over it even harder than Joe glazed her cervix.

• 3Worf
Reactions: 2 users

Fucker

Log Wizard
Don't get me wrong, she is hot and I would hurt myself just to fuck her but...
Something just seems off about her, alien almost.
She can sit in the front yard and count the cows in the back yard. She's like a horse or a fish, has 360 degree vision.

• 2Like
  • 1Worf
Reactions: 2 users

Loser Araysar

Chief Russia Correspondent / Stock Pals CEO
<Gold Donor>
Is this one of the examples of CGI that people are talking about?

Why does her face look like some 3D cartoon?

1716975352325.png

Homsar

Silver Baronet of the Realm
Garfield and IF are already putting better daily numbers now

• 1Double Worf

Koushirou

Log Wizard
<Gold Donor>
They probably thought the whole 'Joe filled her to the brim several times and then tossed her in a gutter when she never got pregnant' thing would offend all the women who were never gonna go see the movie in the first place so they just kinda glazed over it even harder than Joe glazed her cervix.

I mean, they didn’t even glaze over it, it wasn’t even a possible plot point in this version.

• 1Like

Fight

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Eh, this was okay. Action sequences were fine. Didn't feel super girlbossy. The beginning was definitely slow and spent too much time on her childhood. There's also a massive fucking plot hole after she gets to the Citadel. It kinda just ruined most of the rest of the movie. Like...no reaction? What-so-ever? Stupid. There's practically no interaction with her and Immortan Joe to see why he eventually has her as an imperator. Maybe should have trimmed out some of the beginning to actually show some more of that 40 days war. Praetorian Jack just wasn't realistic to me. Missing/weak motivations for why he is the way he is. Hell, there's no interaction with her and the wives to see her thoughts of getting them out of the Citadel, never see her mentioning the green place to them, etc. For a movie supposed to be about filling in someone's backstory, there's a shitload missing that they just didn't have at all or are expecting you to infer.
Joe presumably made her his imperator because she went out and...
murdered/captured his mortal enemy who was threatening their entire existence and waged a 40 days war against him.

She was still super young when she reached the Citadel and appeared to have escaped into anonymity before Joe would have made her a wife. Joe is a sick, sadist piece of shit, but I don't think it was implied that he was raping pre-teen girls. The only one that knew the details of her escape was Rectus and even he was smart enough to play stupid of the whole event when Scrotus noticed him.

So, his future prized wife just vanishes one day, he probably tosses a Warboy off the citadel in rage. Life goes on. Meanwhile, she shows up in the crowd as a mute Repair Boy/Blackfinger and proves her value and 10+ years go by. Dementus' horde get even more unruly and he has no choice but to amp up his aggression or be devoured by his own horde.

This is a complicated story. It isn't just Good Guys against Bad Guys. There are factions within factions and individuals within those factions who are using those factions to their own ends.

• 1Like
  • 1Picard