Health Care Thread

Erronius

<WoW Guild Officer>
<Gold Donor>
this-is-a-hospital-60424.png

Erronius

<WoW Guild Officer>
<Gold Donor>
No one ever digs that deep until something becomes a media circus, but then whenever it does becomes a media circus people wonder why no one dug that deep in the first place.

One would think that ANY of this coming to light would be some sort of victory for justice and accountability, since otherwise this shit goes on each and every day on a scale that boggles the imagination. But no, somehow it's some horribly "bad" thing. People have no idea of how staggering the scale of these things really are. We could, hypothetically, create enough oversight to prevent this from happening, but that would require so many people in such a huge department that you'd then have the same people that are currently crying about this now, crying about "big gub'mint" and how Ron Paul was right all along instead.

It's all fucking hilarious (in a sad,"how-am-I-going-to-tie-the-rope-to-my-ceiling"kind of way)

Draegan_sl

2 Minutes Hate
You could of reduced your whole post to: Humans will be human in every humanly way, ever, every second of the day. Don't be surprised.

Erronius

<WoW Guild Officer>
<Gold Donor>
I could of, but then it would have been nothing more than a vacuous acceptance of Idiocracy as a reality, which is something that I can't accept without some major caveats. What I can accept is that while I may be swimming against a riptide made from idiocy given form, that doesn't mean that I should stop swimming and just let myself drown in it either.

Lenardo

Vyemm Raider
from a report that 2 senators released for the DC area...the number of nonmedicaid signup for DC's obamacare exchange is.......5i guess that number is for the month of october. the article does not say.

Vaclav

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Why do people keep adding this "Nonmedicaid" qualifier, that doesn't mean anything until 2014... Jan 2014 is when you can start signing up for Medicaid through the exchanges (including a paid version of Medicaid, weird - I know...) the signups don't even start for it until then.

Lenardo

Vyemm Raider
The qualifier for Medicaid is due to the fact that they are not paying, having more Medicaid than exchange means that the system will never work correctly, there needs to be something like 2 paying to1 Medicaid otherwise the exchange loses money

fanaskin

Well known agitator
<Silver Donator>
You believe wrong in this expansion state which I've seen quoted in examples already.
what do you make of this then?

I believe that I read that if you enrolled in some states low income programs you're auto enrolled into medicaid in expansion states.

A closer look: Why Medicaid enrollment is surging in exchanges | The Advisory Board Daily Briefing

So why this early surge in Medicaid enrollment? Salo and others can't say for sure, but they have some theories.
1) Medicaid outreach was already underway. Well before Oct. 1, officials and advocates in the states that had opted to run their own exchanges-which also are all states that have opted into the ACA's Medicaid expansion-planned ambitious efforts to get millions of existing and newly eligible residents into the public program.
Writing at Modern Healthcare, Steven Ross Johnson reports that Washington state officials credit an awareness campaign, which began last month with TV ads and 3,000 community-based volunteers, for helping boost early Medicaid enrollment.
2) Certain states were well-positioned to rapidly sign-up residents. Minnesota and Washington not only have a history of successfully expanding public coverage-they're also "Goldilocks states," according to Kip Piper, a former state Medicaid official and White House budget officer.
"Not too big, not too small," Piper said. "So [they're] big enough to have the capabilities and staff but not so large as to be overwhelmed" by a rush of new Medicaid applicants and quickly enroll them.
3) There's little burden on applicants.States that took Medicaid can auto-enroll patients in the program, noted Robert Laszewski, an industry analyst and former executive at a health insurer.
For private plans, "it's a tougher sale because people will still have hard dollar premiums and deductibles and co-pays. Selling [health coverage] for free will get you a lot more buyers than selling it for a price," Laszewski added.

Vaclav

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
fana: While all those things are accurate, its not through Obamacare. That's how the program (Medicaid) has operated in those states for years.

It's just getting pulled up on the Obamacare numbers which is odd, but it's not via the exchanges until January - it's a false positive. (Or an intentional obfuscation to bolster ACA numbers by adding them into the mix)

Until January at least - the only Medicaid offered through the ACA website is the new paid Medicaid (i.e. not free) that goes live January 1st. [Which depending on the rates and the financial qualifiers - alot of disability stuff ignores investment income but the details are still sparse right now for me to know for sure - its not impossible I'll be replacing my current secondary with paid Medicaid after Jan 1. Although I doubt it, it's worth investigating for 100% sure]

Lenardo

Vyemm Raider
wall street journal is reporting that as of nov 3 only 50 thousand people have signed up for the ACA coverage.

personally if i was single in my early 20's. i'd just take my chance and pay the penalty and save myself several hundred dollars a year.

for the record from the time i was 18 through 30 i needed to go to the emergency room once- i sliced my finger with a utility knife and needed 40 stitches. other than that no trips to the docs.
from 31-40 no trips to the doc- not even for checkups-even though i have HMOBLue. i just recently started doing the annual physical- i started when i was 44-still think it's a waste of time since they have never found anything wrong with me- blood sugar normal, chorestoral(spelling) normal- etc. the only thing my doc complains about is my vitamin D level is really low(supposed to be 30 and so far for the past 4 years it's been 10). she prescribes me a D supplement then a new blood test after 3 months- and it is "normal" then 8 months later it is back at 10.

so if i am pretty normal, why WOULD i buy health insurance if i could save several hundred dollars a year otherwise.

BoldW

Molten Core Raider
wall street journal is reporting that as of nov 3 only 50 thousand people have signed up for the ACA coverage.

personally if i was single in my early 20's. i'd just take my chance and pay the penalty and save myself several hundred dollars a year.

for the record from the time i was 18 through 30 i needed to go to the emergency room once- i sliced my finger with a utility knife and needed 40 stitches. other than that no trips to the docs.
from 31-40 no trips to the doc- not even for checkups-even though i have HMOBLue. i just recently started doing the annual physical- i started when i was 44-still think it's a waste of time since they have never found anything wrong with me- blood sugar normal, chorestoral(spelling) normal- etc. the only thing my doc complains about is my vitamin D level is really low(supposed to be 30 and so far for the past 4 years it's been 10). she prescribes me a D supplement then a new blood test after 3 months- and it is "normal" then 8 months later it is back at 10.

so if i am pretty normal, why WOULD i buy health insurance if i could save several hundred dollars a year otherwise.
How big is your finger that 40 stitches are needed/can fit?

Ortega

Vyemm Raider

Hmm I'm not sure I agree. Obviously it's pretty fucking rare to have something terrible happen to you, but depending on your income you're looking at like $300-$1000 a year for a decent plan. That's not bad, and the plus side is if you do get cancer at an early age, or hit by a car you won't be totally fucked.

Even small scale shit like your gall bladder can cost you. My buddy who coincidentally doesn't have insurance just got his removed (had no choice as the pain was terrible). Now he's shelling out payments to cover the six grand it cost, and that's with the hospital writing off several thousand.

Picasso3

Silver Baronet of the Realm
Because one emergency at one point in your entire life can financially ruin you. You're 50 and dumb.. how's that happen?