Health Care Thread

TheBeagle

JunkiesNetwork Donor
It would involve the C-word...compromise. A word that's not in the vocabulary of a certain D.C. demographic.

Sebudai

Ssraeszha Raider
Big P and Trollface have both seen the USPS shit debunked how many dozens of times? Still trying to troll with it.

Picasso3

Silver Baronet of the Realm
HOLY SHIT OBAMACARE HAS FUCKED US ALL THE ANIMALS ARE GOING TO GET TO USE ALL THE MRI MACHINES THEN WHAT I TOLD YOU THIS WOULD HAPPEN

Zhaun_sl

shitlord
From a quote in the NYT: "Indeed, according to the research firm the Standish Group, 94 percent of large federal information technology projects over the past 10 years were unsuccessful ? more than half were delayed, over budget, or didn?t meet user expectations, and 41.4 percent failed completely. "

And this:

"The government has to follow a code called the Federal Acquisition Regulation, which is more than 1,800 pages of legalese that all but ensure that the companies that win government contracts, like the ones put out to build HealthCare.gov, are those that can navigate the regulations best, but not necessarily do the best job."

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/10/25/op...flop.html?_r=0

I'm not even blaming Obama for this, I think corruption and ineptitude and complexity (bureaucracy) abound throughout almost every aspect of government. I think it's further compounded by a lack of profit motive and consequence hence the laziness.

If you think the government is capable fine. I don't. In the face of so many failures by our government, I don't get why it's so hard to understand why I feel this way, even if you don't agree with me.
Again, I don't see how other countries can do it but ours is incapable.

You can say "I don't think government should be involved in our health care." and you can have that opinion. I think it is one that leaves us in a bad place, but it's an opinion.

Saying "Our government is incapable" though requires a certain amount of logic and reasoning I think, that simply doesn't stand up. Perhaps "our government officials have their heads too far up their ass to make a good system" may be valid, and would probably hold up to scrutiny considering the past several years, but "incapable"? No.

As Burnem so kindly pointed out, it really is the same as saying our country is less competent than others. Which is a fine point to make, but if that is the case I hope someone starts disarming us sooner rather than later.

Zhaun_sl

shitlord
Smaller countries with less people. Also those systems come with their own problems. But I agree. We should just jump all the way in instead of trying to soak our pinky toe like we are doing with this shitty system we have.
You really feel that we couldn't look at the cumulated hundreds of years of experience all these different countries had in this area and not come up with a good system? I don't believe that. Again, this isn't some new, alien proposal. This is something that quite a lot of people have been doing for quite some time and manage to work it out somehow. I'd like to think that somewhere in this country we can come up with a dozen people who can crunch the numbers and put together a functional policy.

Only if we let politics in the way do I believe that to be true.

TheBeagle

JunkiesNetwork Donor
Well to be fair, none of those countries have a significant population of these people to deal with.
rrr_img_49902.jpg

Synj

Dystopian Dreamer
<Gold Donor>
My thoughts are that Medicaid should be expanded to give basic coverage to every single citizen of the U.S. while retaining the private insurance market for people that want cadillac coverage or doctors that are outside of Medicaid. Everyone gets what they want. The private market will stabilize since they will no longer be footing the bill for the uninsured and single payer will keep people from going bankrupt when they get sick.
Sounds reasonable. Don't most states offer some form of insurance to low income households? Here in Arizona you have to meet some pretty low thresholds to qualify but I would think a student would qualify and based on the story posted above (the lady that qualified and then didn't qualify) that sounds to be about the same for ACA (the income qualifcations)?

Kreugen

Vyemm Raider
In VA you have to have children and your household income has to be below $5000 a year. At that point you're better off dead or in prison.

TheBeagle

JunkiesNetwork Donor
Ya, same in Texas. It's a bit easier if you are pregnant, but a single guy has to make below $5k i think. My summer internship was enough to disqualify me for that. So for people in states that didn't expand Medicaid, you don't get federal ACA subsidies until you hit the poverty line, $15kish i think, but if you make below that you get jack shit from the Feds and are reliant upon your states rules for Medicaid qualification, which in TX are non-existant. Go America. I graduate in May though and will be either the fuck out of this shithole of a state in a grad program or staying here and TA'ing my through a Master's which will put me over the $15k threshold for the Fed subsidy. Just have to stay healthy until then.

Grim1

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
If other first world countries can manage single payer, I am more than positive that we can as well. By making the argument that we as a country aren't capable of government run health care is directly implying that we as a country aren't smart enough, which is a fucking stupid ass statement. We can easily have government ran health care, we just need all the stupid people to stfu and get out of the way.
Lol, we can't even manage a fucking website. Good luck with that.

Cad

scientia potentia est
<Bronze Donator>
Also, my lack of insurance caused me to try and tough it out an extra day instead of immediately going to the ER. That delay caused my appendix to rupture and consequently I stayed an extra 4 days in the hospital, costing much more money that will be passed on to the consumer. Privatization yo!
There are school health plans for full time students that are extremely reasonably priced. If you made the choice to forego the cost and take the risk, then the system is working as intended, no?

Grim1

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
It would involve the C-word...compromise. A word that's not in the vocabulary of a certain D.C. demographic.
"President Obama listened to Republican gripes about his stimulus package during a meeting with congressional leaders Friday morning - but he also left no doubt about who's in charge of these negotiations. "I won," Obama noted matter-of-factly, according to sources familiar with the conversation."

So much for comprimise.

I have to admit that I cheered for Obama when he said that. In hind sight it was the domino that started all of our hyper partisan problems in D.C. Republicans are also like elephants in that they never forget. And they never forgave Obama for that idiotic bit of hubris.

We are all paying for that mistake.

Picasso3

Silver Baronet of the Realm
I think they Medicaid is changing to a universal 133% of poverty limit in the non retarded states which may very well exclude tx

Burnem Wizfyre

Log Wizard
No, but you obviously do. Since you are INcapable of anthing resembling basic reason or logic.
Would you like me to link some government websites that work properly that prove just how fucking retarded you are? I mean surely if the government is incapable of maintaining a functional website I wouldn't be able to link those right? I swear talking to you is like talking to a barely functional retard, only difference is they are CAPABLE of understanding.