NBA 2016-17 Season Thread - Knicks in 6

Alex

Still a Music Elitist
LBJ has Kyrie though. Westbrook is doing this shit solo.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Gaige

Legal Ephebophile
While losing? I don't see how that makes him MVP? LeBron went to Heat 4 straight Finals, won 2. Left Heat went to Cavs 2 straight Finals and another ring while Heat are trash. LeBron on any team = title contender and I think that's why he should be in the running.

Ameraves

New title pending...
<Bronze Donator>
Harden or Westbrook will get it though. Nothing against Kawhi's season. It's amazing. But what those other two dudes are doing. Damn.
Not according to Cuban. He says Westbrook shouldn't even be in the conversation. But he is butthurt over Westbrook for some reason.

And shut up Gaige, nobody wants to hear your cockslobbering over Lebron.

• 1Solidarity

Pharazon2

Molten Core Raider
I'd have Kawhi #1, Harden #2, Lebron #3, WB #4. KD was in the top three for the first half but his efficiency slowed down a bit and then the injury =(...

Kawhi though.. dude is winning games on both ends of the court, has his team only 2 games back of the Warriors even though he was the only AS on the Spurs. Harden and Lebron have pretty much the same record - Harden is winning the same # of games with undeniably less of a team to work with. But they're both 7 behind the Spurs in the loss column.

• 1Solidarity

Ameraves

New title pending...
<Bronze Donator>
It always goes back to the same tired argument, and how do they judge MVP. If you take any of those guys off their team, obviously the team takes a huge nosedive, but which team takes the greatest impact?

To me if you take Westbrook off his team, and you look at his stats, it seems like he would be a pretty clear MVP. I am not sure any team falls further by losing their star than OKC does. Well, probably Harden and Houston as well.

Gaige

Legal Ephebophile
I guess you haven't seen the Cavs record when LeBron sits, lol. I'd be all about Westbrook except OKC is terrible.

DickTrickle

Definitely NOT Furor Planedefiler
Russell Westbrook with a really Westbrick-esque night tonight. Ultimate stat stuffing aficionado.

Also, as much fun as winning is lately... I'm gonna need the Mavs to start losing a little more often, would like to stay Top 8ish in this upcoming draft!

The Thunder have a .800 win percentage when he gets a triple double and a .333 win percentage when he does not. It seems like his stat stuffing is good for the team.

Some reasons for that include the reality that containing a team's best player is bad for that team, duh. Also, however, is that him getting a defensive rebound allows him to quickly control the break and transition offense, which is actually a big plus for the Thunder.

Blitz

<Bronze Donator>
Harden & Westbrook are having great offensive years and are absolutely worthy of MVP talk, but Kawhi does it all. Dude's PER is not far off either of them, and plays defense on a totally different planet than either of those guys (Harden fucking sucks on defense, his lack of defense highlight reels are hilarious). Pop has turned that dude loose and he is murdering guys lately. He is undoubtedly the better player, and I believe he has a very good case this year for MVP even agains the two flashy dudes.

LBJ isn't getting much talk because his output just isn't what it usually is. This is obvious, its a regular season award, LBJ won't win and it's not a surprise. No one is saying he isn't still the best player, but MJ would've won 10+ if that's the way voting went.

And Cuban hates Westbrook dating back to last year, cause of his wack fucking dances with that alien-Payne. Not to mention Westbrook plays with a ton energy, which is awesome, but there are times he is just a turnover machine and doesn't use his team well (even if there isn't much of one).

Gaige

Legal Ephebophile
I'd be on board with Kawhi though, no doubt. However statistically LeBron is having one of his best years yet, especially efficiency wise.

• 1Like

Qwirb

Silver Knight of the Realm
Warriors fan joining the thread.

MVP candidates at this point have to be Harden, Lebron, and Kawhi in that order but extremely close. Westbrook is a great player but so much of his production has to do with usage rate which doesn't really translate to wins (see tonight's game). The other three guys are all producing at incredible levels and with the efficiency that results in wins.

Only reason I have Lebron second is based on the assumption that he takes it easy the rest of the regular season with the help he just got. If the season ended today I'd have him #1. He's been unbelievable.

• 1Like

DickTrickle

Definitely NOT Furor Planedefiler
I'd be on board with Kawhi though, no doubt. However statistically LeBron is having one of his best years yet, especially efficiency wise.

Yeah, I think it's just a case of people normalizing greatness, like when Karl Malone won his MVPs over Jordan. Not that Malone didn't have great years, but I think Jordan was still more deserving of the award.

Edit: Bad memory, his second MVP was with MJ retired.

Last edited:

Sterling

El Presidente
Kawhi is legit, and he keeps getting better on offense every season. Also Aldridge is an AllStar most years too.

• 1Like

Qwirb

Silver Knight of the Realm
Yeah, I think it's just a case of people normalizing greatness, like when Karl Malone won his MVPs over Jordan. Not that Malone didn't have great years, but I think Jordan was still more deserving of the award.

Edit: Bad memory, his second MVP was with MJ retired.

Totally agree. If anything, it's more impressive that he's able to maintain his level of greatness year in and year out.

Similar stuff going on with kawhi being a part of the spurs machine.

• 1Solidarity

Gaige

Legal Ephebophile
Tonight is what I was talking about with Westbrook though, he scores 58 but they lose. That doesn't scream MVP to me really. Spurs game last night though where Kawhi shot the dagger 3 and then had the block on the other end, that shit screams MVP caliber season.

• 1Solidarity

Ambiturner

Ssraeszha Raider
Westbrook's not a pussy that has to jump from super team to super team to stay relevant like Lebron.

• 4Like
Reactions: 3 users

Gaige

Legal Ephebophile
Westbrook's not a pussy that has to jump from super team to super team to stay relevant like Lebron.

I hated that year he lost to the Celtics in the ECF and then signed with them in FA. Oh wait that was Durant and the Warriors my bad.

If they didn't judge players legacies so harshly on numbers of rings won, you wouldn't see shit like the Durant level pussy happen. Hard to pin it on LeBron, though I know you're trolling, when literally every player does it or tries to. Westbrook is a unique case study because I don't think he cares about winning, I think he is cool just being a stat page stuffer.

• 1Like

Ameraves

New title pending...
<Bronze Donator>
I hated that year he lost to the Celtics in the ECF and then signed with them in FA. Oh wait that was Durant and the Warriors my bad.

If they didn't judge players legacies so harshly on numbers of rings won, you wouldn't see shit like the Durant level pussy happen. Hard to pin it on LeBron, though I know you're trolling, when literally every player does it or tries to. Westbrook is a unique case study because I don't think he cares about winning, I think he is cool just being a stat page stuffer.
Jordan never did it. Kobe never did it. Duncan never did it.

Don't sit here and try to say that every player does it. Yes, some do, and Lebron was the biggest name to do it at the time. Durant going to GS last year was definitely bigger though.

• 1Like

Gaige

Legal Ephebophile
Jordan didn't do it because they built a team around him. Kobe threatened to do it prior to them getting Pau, or are you intentionally neglecting that? Duncan is Duncan and he had Pop. You think LeBron leaves if he has Pop? C'mon.