NBA 2016-17 Season Thread - Knicks in 6

Alex

Still a Music Elitist
Because if one of your best players misses seven minutes in a game you'd prefer it to not be in the final seven minutes. When the other team's best players are on the court.

Djay

Trakanon Raider
But you're usually taking them out in situations when those other best players are on the court anyway...giving the other team an advantage against your reserves early in the game...meaning you're putting yourself at a disadvantage because of fouls that haven't happened yet. Points in the 2nd quarter are worth just as much as those in the 4th. And I'd rather have my star get me a lead early and ask my reserves to hold it IF he ends up fouling out than guarantee he'll be off the court and ask him to bring us back from a deficit later. No matter how you shake it, it doesn't make sense.

• 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 user

Oblio

Utah
<Gold Donor>
Much better Qrt for GS, only down by 3 at the half is pretty solid considering they were down by 22 earlier.

Alex

Still a Music Elitist
Bench got it done. Completely shut the Spurs down in the second half.

Ambiturner

Ssraeszha Raider
Because if one of your best players misses seven minutes in a game you'd prefer it to not be in the final seven minutes. When the other team's best players are on the court.

You're saying you'd rather have a player definitely miss minutes because you sit him rather than possibly miss minutes because they foul out.

• 1Solidarity

Alex

Still a Music Elitist
Maybe you would get to 200 wins faster than Kerr if you were a head coach.

• 1Salty

zzeris

King Turd of Shit Hill
<Gold Donor>
Moving to a similar topic, what's the general thoughts on resting players? I don't mind it but I also think it would be pretty easy just to have the resting guys play a couple minutes for the crowd on 'off' days.

Ameraves

New title pending...
<Bronze Donator>
I understand the point of resting players, but come on. These dudes are making 10s of millions per year. The reason they are getting paid that much is because of TV advertising and fans paying to see them. Earn your money and play.

If a team is able to rest it's starters several games throughout the year, because a loss wouldn't affect them enough in the standings, maybe it is time to shorten the season.

• 1Like

Lasch

Trakanon Raider
I don't mind resting players, but I quit going to home games...

If I bought tickets to go see LeBron or a good game between two top tier team,s I'd probably think it should be fined. But, then I'm not sure if the teams/players for resting, of if the NBA should be blamed for their shit schedule.

Alex

Still a Music Elitist
The season should be shorter. Usually the standings are set except for teams scrambling to land the 7/8 seeds by the All Star break.

DickTrickle

Definitely NOT Furor Planedefiler
You're saying you'd rather have a player definitely miss minutes because you sit him rather than possibly miss minutes because they foul out.

I think there's definitely merit to this view.

However, I do think that someone with a high amount of fouls early could be targeted on defense a lot more than they might normally. That could force them to play softer defense or allow more opportunities for them to commit another foul.

Otherwise, though, I think minutes are minutes.

Springbok

Karen
<Gold Donor>
Westbrook is just playing at an insane level right now, I can't fathom how the dip shits at ESPN are still trying to make it a race. It shouldn't be, nor is it really. OKC is a crap team, with average talent that locked up a playoff spot last night behind a 57 point trip dub. 38 in a career is pretty great, 38 in a season when you have to kick out 35+ assists to net 10 (because your team is fucking AIDS) is insane. That's not to say the teams awful play hasn't contributed positively towards his #'s (it has, he's having to do more and take over games) - but doing that over the course of an entire season while leading your team to a 6/7 seed in the West is pretty remarkable.

They still get bounced in 6 games opening round mind you.

Alex

Still a Music Elitist
Yeah but it's not like Harden's supporting cast is all that either. It's the "do you make the players around you better?" argument and Harden no doubt does that. I have no issue with either getting the reward. Or even Kawhi.

Pigbenis

Molten Core Raider
Cavs are so lol bad right now I can barely fucking stand to watch. They have 0 intensity out there.