NBA 2016-17 Season Thread - Knicks in 6

LiquidDeath

Magnus Deadlift the Fucktiger
Serious question no trolling:

The Case For LeBron James, MVP

Thoughts on this article from non-Lebron ball swingers?

First let me say I'm fully onboard with Westbrook or Kawhi getting it, no arguments here. I just wonder if LeBron is doing things at 32 that are unprecedented and like the article says people just expect that sort of greatness from him year in and year out.

He should be in the conversation, but this is just straight fucking delusion:

"The MVP argument for LeBron goes something like this: Measure the man against himself. If you watched LeBron carry the Cavaliers back from the brink in last year’s NBA Finals, you know he’s the best player in the NBA, full stop. Nothing he’s done, or not done, this season has changed that basic fact. Look past the glitter of round numbers and records broken. LeBron James is your MVP."

What kind of fucking ignorance makes you write that this year's MVP should be determined by last year's Finals? Is LeBron the best player in the NBA right now? Maybe, probably. It is more debatable every year as he gets older and less amazing compared to other individual players, but the MVP is not the best player but the most valuable one to his team. I am a Thunder fan, so I'm biased towards Westbrook anyways, but I also believe that he is more valuable to the Thunder than any other player is to their team this year especially since the Thunder are a mess post-KD.

Also, any time someone says "forget the numbers" they are about to say something that has no goddamn basis in reality.

Pharazon2

Molten Core Raider
but the MVP is not the best player but the most valuable one to his team.

Says who? Its not written anywhere what the MVP should be, that's why there's often so much debate about it. Everybody has their own idea on what criteria should be used.

LiquidDeath

Magnus Deadlift the Fucktiger
Says who? Its not written anywhere what the MVP should be, that's why there's often so much debate about it. Everybody has their own idea on what criteria should be used.

Because giving it to the best player every year is fucking stupid? It isn't something that changes frequently. Jordan, Kobe, and LeBron would have a shitload of trophies just for being themselves. Giving an award like that is a goddamn joke. The most valuable player to a team can change regardless of whether or not that player is the single, best player in the league.

Pharazon2

Molten Core Raider
I wouldn't vote for him, as I've watched almost every Dubs game this year and he just wasn't consistent enough (and I thought KD was the Warriors MVP for the first half of the season or so). But this is an interesting article making the case for Steph in comparison to the other candidates with some more advanced metrics. Some of the graphics are interesting to look at regardless. They've already had similar articles for the other guys at this site, though maybe Westbrook's still to come:

The Case For Stephen Curry, MVP

Ambiturner

Ssraeszha Raider
I wouldn't vote for him, as I've watched almost every Dubs game this year and he just wasn't consistent enough (and I thought KD was the Warriors MVP for the first half of the season or so). But this is an interesting article making the case for Steph in comparison to the other candidates with some more advanced metrics. Some of the graphics are interesting to look at regardless. They've already had similar articles for the other guys at this site, though maybe Westbrook's still to come:

If it's all about wins then Curry should get it.

Sterling

El Presidente

The Kawhi one is pretty interesting.

Gaige

Legal Ephebophile
The thing about Curry is, I honestly don't believe he is even the best player on his own team anymore, I think that honor goes to KD.

Alex

Still a Music Elitist
I would say KD is better but Curry stepped up big time after KD went down. Took on a ton of the offensive load.

joz123

Potato del Grande
Not surprised the Grizzlies got rocked. And Clippers won't make it out of the first round.

Sterling

El Presidente
Spurs 31/32 from the stripe. Kawhi 19/19, 28/28 for the 2 games from the line and 20/28 shooting.

Itlan

Blackwing Lair Raider
Maybe if the refs called a fair game it might be interesting.

• 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 user

Springbok

Karen
<Gold Donor>
Kawhi is probably my favorite non Dirk player in the NBA right now - hard to believe, as I fucking LOATHE the Spurs (though grudgingly respect them a ton). He's just a throwback - can score 40 a game, play exceptional defense and body basically everyone on the court. Wish he was a Mav - as good as Russ, Harden, Steph, KD etc are I actually agree with Shaq/Barkley - for me, he's the second best player in the league on both sides of the ball. Plus, he's young and improving every season.

That said, Russy not winning MVP is a fucking disgrace.

joz123

Potato del Grande
Ya he got like what, 80 triple doubles this season. It is 100% fixed if he doesn't get it this year. His team would be shit if he wasn't on it.

Springbok

Karen
<Gold Donor>
Celtics have been hard to watch so far... they go through stretches of like 4/5 minutes far too often of just no offense.

Chicago is playing well though and Butler has been a beast - they're actually a pretty fun team to watch