NFL 2017 Offseason - Where does Romo go?

Ameraves

New title pending...
<Bronze Donator>
They might be stupid to trade high picks because of the injury concern but you're going to need to elaborate how taking on that contract is stupid outside of the injury concerns. Romo is due 14 million dollars in 2017, 19.5 million in 2018 and 20.5 million in 2019 and not a single fucking penny is guaranteed.

Someone will have to pay big, it only cost 5 million more than trading him and you get to cut 2 million by not having Sanchez collecting welfare. Dallas will have all the leverage, Romo and his contract is even more friendly to the team picking him up than to the Cowboys. The only reason his cap hits look bad is because they paid him large amounts already and kicked that money to future years, all of which only the Cowboys can be hit for, not some other team.

He is either the best backup in the league or starts some where else after they trade him away. The only thing I can see is Jerry vetoing his son Stephen and trading Romo for less than they should take as a thank you to Romo otherwise they should get at bare minimum a 2nd round pick.
Looks like he is expecting to be cut, not traded.

Tony Romo Reportedly Expecting Release, Not Trade from Cowboys

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Ameraves

New title pending...
<Bronze Donator>
Romo expected to get his job back, then expected to be able to compete for the job. He expected a lot of things and it didn't work out the way he expected, he holds no leverage and it's retarded to cut him.
So you are saying that the Cowboys will absolutely 100% not cut him?

Burnem Wizfyre

Log Wizard
I thought the numbers for cutting him didn't make any sense?

If Jerry cuts Romo he is an idiot, the numbers don't just imply it they demand you call him an idiot.

So you are saying that the Cowboys will absolutely 100% not cut him?

No, but the only person to benefit from Romo being cut is Romo. Jerry cutting Romo is detrimental to the team, contrary to the beliefs of pathological lying bet welching faggots Romo has real value and the cost of keeping him isn't out of proportion for the cost of a back up, especially considering of the 5.1 million you save will have to be spent on his replacement.

This wreaks of a power play by Romo hoping to scare trade suitors thinking why trade if he will get cut, Stephen has already gone on record as to saying Romo will be most valuable on draft day by being able to trade Romo not for a pick but to swap a pick as an example #28 and Romo for #15.

Wombat

Trakanon Raider
Didn't Jerrah "cut" Kyle Orton and let Kitna keep all his bonuses in the last couple years?

It may not make sense to cut Romo, but there is precedent.

Ambiturner

Ssraeszha Raider
Jerrah also loves him some Romo.

Yeah, if there's someone Jerry would do a favor for it's Romo. They still save 5 mil in cap space if they cut him, but Romo does have the leverage to threaten to retire if traded to someone who he doesn't want to play for. Nobody's going to trade for a player who:

A. Will probably be cut anyways; and

B. Might legitimately retire giving them nothing for the trade

Ameraves

New title pending...
<Bronze Donator>
And it probably wouldn't be an empty threat. There is no way Romo would want to go somewhere like San Francisco, where there is no chance of winning while he still has the potential to be relevant.

Burnem Wizfyre

Log Wizard
Yeah, if there's someone Jerry would do a favor for it's Romo. They still save 5 mil in cap space if they cut him, but Romo does have the leverage to threaten to retire if traded to someone who he doesn't want to play for. Nobody's going to trade for a player who:

A. Will probably be cut anyways; and

B. Might legitimately retire giving them nothing for the trade

I'm not sure you know what the word leverage means. Threatening to retire because they won't cut you even though you want to continue to play, go fucking pound sand Romo has no leverage. Let him retire, it's the same as cutting him and you can still entertain trade offers because you own his rights.

I'd give Romo four choices, back up Dak, traded, retire or pound fucking sand.

Ambiturner

Ssraeszha Raider
I'm not sure you know what the word leverage means. Threatening to retire because they won't cut you even though you want to continue to play, go fucking pound sand Romo has no leverage. Let him retire, it's the same as cutting him and you can still entertain trade offers because you own his rights.

I'd give Romo four choices, back up Dak, traded, retire or pound fucking sand.

You don't think Dallas could better use the $5 million cap hit on anything other than a backup QB?

Burnem Wizfyre

Log Wizard
You don't think Dallas could better use the $5 million cap hit on anything other than a backup QB?

Someone has to back up Dak, a back up short of a rookie draft pick will eat up the vast majority of that 5.1 million and not be anywhere close to being as good as Romo. Back up, traded, retire or pound fucking sand.

I liked Romo, still do. I like the Cowboys more, I wouldn't help him if it wasn't beneficial to the team. The only special treatment I'd give Romo is I might take less to send him to a more preferred team but even then it wouldn't be a lot less.

Last edited:

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Correct me if I'm wrong here.

But cap hit equals salary plus whatever portion of your signing bonus is funneled into that year. So if Romo is traded the cowboys still owe him whatever portion of his signing bonus falls on the books for 2017, but the other team pays the base salary for that season. If the Cowboys cut Romo, they owe him that same portion of his signing bonus, plus whatever portion of his base salary, if not all, was guaranteed. Cutting him is fucking retarded. If they can't find someone to trade for him they will keep him on the roster.

I think the retiring thing is occasionally a favor to the team by the retiring player. For example, Matt light on the patriots retired when he still had a year on his contract with 6 million guaranteed, but the retiring voids the contract. At that point the owner can hire you to give high-fives for six million dollars, since you are no longer an employee it doesn't break the collusion rules, but it does remove the salary cap burden on the team.

Again plz correct me if I'm wrong.

Burnem Wizfyre

Log Wizard

But cap hit equals salary plus whatever portion of your signing bonus is funneled into that year. So if Romo is traded the cowboys still owe him whatever portion of his signing bonus falls on the books for 2017, but the other team pays the base salary for that season. If the Cowboys cut Romo, they owe him that same portion of his signing bonus, plus whatever portion of his base salary, if not all, was guaranteed. Cutting him is fucking retarded. If they can't find someone to trade for him they will keep him on the roster.

I think the retiring thing is occasionally a favor to the team by the retiring player. For example, Matt light on the patriots retired when he still had a year on his contract with 6 million guaranteed, but the retiring voids the contract. At that point the owner can hire you to give high-fives for six million dollars, since you are no longer an employee it doesn't break the collusion rules, but it does remove the salary cap burden on the team.

You aren't wrong, not a single penny of his remaining contract is guaranteed either. Romo will cost a team that trades for him 14 million on the cap for 2017. That 19 million that's been spent years prior to 2017 all hit at once if he is cut, traded or retires. The only other option is to June 1st cut him, 10 miilion this year and 9 million next but you don't get that money to spend until June 1st.

It makes no sense to cut Romo, if Jerry cuts Romo it will be to the detriment of his own team. Have enjoyed Romo but he can pound fucking sand, he's a commodity and should be treated as such.

Ambiturner

Ssraeszha Raider

The Cowboys save the same amount, $5.1 million, whether they cut or trade him.

And your second point is definitely a CBA violation