No Man's Sky

Kedwyn

Silver Squire
I had the issue.

The problem is you have to be in the step in crafting, making the sub components and such and having the drive installed BEFORE you talk to the NPC.

My mistake was not being up to that and then already talking to the NPC. Once I installed the warp drive and had the subcomponent made I was able to get the formula to make it. I went back to the warehouse or base on the first planet and got the recipe.

The game basically expects you to gtfo the first planet asap. Start exploring and you might already visit the base before you've completed the steps to trigger the recipe

Last edited:

Lenas

Trump's Staff
If you decide to switch to a crashed ship you find, make sure the planet has the resources you need to repair it first... Kinda stranded ATM because I'm on a rock with zero heridium. The more I play and gather the more I realize this is what EQ Landmark probably should have been.

Ended up having to run around for 30 minutes on foot until I found a station with a galactic merchant. Was also able to buy the resonator though so I guess it worked out.

Last edited:
  • 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

a_skeleton_03

<Banned>
It is nice having a son that you can call and tell him to turn your PS4 on and go buy a game and install it while you are at work so that when you get home it will be ready for you to start playing.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Utnayan

I Love Utnayan he’s awesome
<Gold Donor>
Ok. I'll just start over with a new save. I kind of now know what I am doing now too so it will help. Only lost 2 hours or so.

• 1Like

Ravishing

Uninspiring Title
<Bronze Donator>
This might be the first solo player game I buy since that awful Sim city game. PC version on Friday?

• 1Like

Lenas

Trump's Staff
It is nice having a son that you can call and tell him to turn your PS4 on and go buy a game and install it while you are at work so that when you get home it will be ready for you to start playing.
If you buy a game on PSN website you can tell it to download to your PS4. If console is in rest mode it should start downloading.

• 1Like

Heylel

Trakanon Raider
So is this worth it? It looks intriguing, but it also looks like the sort of game where it is best experienced by spending a weekend baked as fuck and staring at the screen. I'm an old fart and can't spare that kind of time anymore.

Folanlron

Trakanon Raider
at it's core it is a Explore/Upgrade Rinse and Repeat game, you can spends hours on one planet running around making money/lang/resources etc etc, or just push thru with the starter kit and get to the center it's all up to how you want to play.

The odd thing (to me anyway) is that the planets are not actually "saved" I'm not sure how long you have to be logged off for the planet to be "flushed" and resources replanted. Not sure if this also applies to suit upgrades though.

Kedwyn

Silver Squire
So is this worth it? It looks intriguing, but it also looks like the sort of game where it is best experienced by spending a weekend baked as fuck and staring at the screen. I'm an old fart and can't spare that kind of time anymore.

Like has been said by myself and many others, this game scratches the explorer itch really well. Crafting as well.

There is nothing GREAT about this game. It's not a 10/10 or even a 9/10 must buy title. IF you are into exploration, crafting and like space stuff then this game is probably a good buy for you.

The game play is repetitive, you are essentially upgrading tons of shit via crafting (Multiple parts of your suit, ship and multi tool functions) and looking for blue prints by interacting with old tech or current residents. The game play is more in line with mine craft but you don't build stuff, mostly craft your upgrades. I've found most of the text in the game to be fairly well written for what it is even if it is a little corny in a zork kind of way.

Now where the game really shines is putting you on these fucking massive worlds that are pretty damn interesting. The worlds are huge. The amount of variety is pretty wide and it is a lot of fun getting lost looking for the shit you need. That really is the appeal and the crafting part / moving around is more the impetus to get you to do it.

You'll be out looking for something, say copper, and before you know it you're a hour from your ship and every few minutes you'll say "hmm i'm going to go check that out", "oh shit score some Callium or Emeril" etc.. I'm usually looking for something and then 2 hours later I realize I just killed a bunch of time, enjoyed it and hadn't found what I was looking for.

You land on the ice / hot world and you are looking for that temperature module pretty quick. Corrosive? Radiation? Night time radiation surge, the storms etc all add a bit of "ahh I better take care of this or it will be a problem". Then when you land on an earth like world its complete tits. You'll know what I'm talking about after playing. They did a really good job with the planets.

All in all I have no regrets buying this. I'm going to play it a shit ton now and it will be a title you can come back to over the years and fuck around with it. You just have to be into exploration and crafting. There is some combat as well, you can fight pirates and blow the shit out of the little scanner dudes but its not a huge part of what makes the game good.

Last edited:
  • 1Like

Kedwyn

Silver Squire
The odd thing (to me anyway) is that the planets are not actually "saved" I'm not sure how long you have to be logged off for the planet to be "flushed" and resources replanted. Not sure if this also applies to suit upgrades though.

Yeah if you neglect a way point that you locate from one of the scanners on the planet it will eventually go away. I've had that happen where I activated the beacon, got a few way points and then went off. After the first one I found an awesome cave system with tons of rare mats so I stopped and mined for cash. After two hours of exploring and mining I went to finish the 2 other way points and they were gone. Found another scanner further away and got some new ones.

So stuff doesn't last very long if you don't actually visit in. If you go back, somethings are still there (major colony POI) but most of the small shit you see is generated as you scan or fly by. Not exactly sure how long it lasts after you visit it but I doubt it sticks around very long.

Kedwyn

Silver Squire
I've found that:

Iridium
Copper

Seem to be the hardest stuff to find regularly. I've run into most everything else pretty regularly, but copper seems to be super rare unless I'm not looking in the right spots. Same with iridum but I did find a moon with some and blasted some space junk for some. Still not super easy to find in my universe. Really need some copper though to build my warp upgrade.

I love this game.

I explored the first world I was on a bit but I was eager to get off of it.
World 1 - Radiated World, small creatures (not dangerous)
World 2 - Ice Planet, lots to mine, some hostile creatures but nothing too bad.
World 3 - Jungle, looked no hazardous climate or radiation, animals though were hostile as fuck. A giant six-legged tiger unicorn was stalking me and I had to get on top of a god damn outpost to avoid it.
World 4 - Acid Rain, pretty much dead. God damn fungus killed off everything.

In another solar system now.

World 1 - Devoid of Life, Tons of gold right on the surface, little in the way of carbon but I'm filling up there.

I have about 1.3 Million Units
Spent a ton on upgrades
Gun - 21 slots
Exo Suit - 18 Slots
Ship - 16

I've been seeing ships with 25 slots and I'm saving up to buy them or want to see if I can hijack them somehow.

Seems like you can't sell your old ships, so I'm okay with stealing someones.
Although I'm trying to look for abandoned ships too. Found a couple but nothing with better storage yet.

I've also learned over 40 words now in Vy'keen

Fuck sentinels.

• 1Like

Hekotat

FoH nuclear response team
I still think the drawback to these games is multiplayer, shit is more fun with friends.

I understand it's space and massive and empty but if you had a main hub everyone could roll in and see all the pimp shit you have, start races, create scavenger hunts, etc, etc. That's just more content and longevity you could add to a game without spending a dime.

EDIT: I mean think about it, who wouldn't want to be flying around with the Re2 crew, drunk, then you see Utnayan's drunk ass careen into an asteroid.

• 1Like

hodj

Vox Populi Jihadi
<Silver Donator>
Yeah a hub wouldn't work but a way to friend up, teleport to one another, and enjoy a shared lobby with persistant building would be ideal.

But then its almost a different game.

Its weird man.