Overwatch

Captain Suave

Caesar si viveret, ad remum dareris.
Same here, and I ended up in the gutter about 500 points below last season. The grind upwards has been horrific.

Penance

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I don't see the point of both placements and off season in this game. What's the point of having new seasons if you literally start near where you were, and what's the point of placements as well?

Ravishing

Uninspiring Title
<Bronze Donator>
I don't see the point of both placements and off season in this game. What's the point of having new seasons if you literally start near where you were, and what's the point of placements as well?

Not much point in this game for placements tbh, they adopted a hybrid Hearthstone+League of Legends model. They wanted monthly seasons like Hearthstone, people fired back, so it's 3 months, but they also have placements for some reason. League does placements once a year, but they also soft reset everyone. It's dumb to have placements without resets but resetting everyone every 3 months is also dumb.

Jive Turkey

Karen
I must suck real bad. I'm incapable of winning games anymore it seems

I usually play by myself, so it's a shit-fest for 5 or 6 matches of losing until I can find a decent group to stay with. Then I play a couple more times, win, but am probably bored by then and quit

• 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 user

Kharzette

Watcher of Overs
Climbed up to gold out of the nearly bronze it placed me at. Was kinda fun.

I let it go too late last night. The late night crowd is so bad.

Eidal

Molten Core Raider
Not much point in this game for placements tbh, they adopted a hybrid Hearthstone+League of Legends model.

Eh -- placements are nothing more than 10 games with a high delta factor and a hidden public rating. I think it's important. For example, I was 61 or 63 in S1 then came back for S4 totally out of practice. Since I had to do placements, I was quickly sorted down, rather than ruin 20+ games at whatever 63 in S1 translates to now.

Ravishing

Uninspiring Title
<Bronze Donator>
Eh -- placements are nothing more than 10 games with a high delta factor and a hidden public rating. I think it's important. For example, I was 61 or 63 in S1 then came back for S4 totally out of practice. Since I had to do placements, I was quickly sorted down, rather than ruin 20+ games at whatever 63 in S1 translates to now.

Placements aren't important when it's every 3 months and most people remain at their current ranking. Some get filtered up/down but honestly even in your example, once you shake the rust off you should be a level equivalent to whatever 63 was. Sorting you down just to climb back up is dumb. People have good/bad days or need to take a week+ vacation or whatever and will be rusty, but these people can work through it and get their ability back in most cases. Whether you choose to tank Ranked games or practice in QP first is up to you.

LoL does it yearly with a soft reset, and with drastic changes to the game during the off-season. It is a much better plan because a lot can happen in 1 year, and it filters people based on their ability to adapt to the new game changes too. It also prevents anyone from reaching their original rank whom are Diamond+. Best you can place is Platinum.

I just play placements like any other normal game in OW, doesn't really seem to matter. The movement isn't that drastic. I'm going to continually place gold as long as I end the season in the 2500-2700 range. And within the first week I'll be platinum again, ad infinitum.

Somehow I placed 2100 with a .500 record in placements and easily climbed the 400 points needed within the 1st week. I don't even mind tbh, the low MMR games are some of the most fun when you can only login 5-10 hrs a week.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Eidal

Molten Core Raider
Placements aren't important when it's every 3 months and most people remain at their current ranking.

Question: are you sure they don't do some form of soft reset?

I don't understand your argument against having an increased delta every few months. Either you've improved and this quickly gets you higher rank and harder games, or you've diminished and this gets you lower rank and easier games. People with a large quantity of games played tend to end up gaining/losing very minimal amount of points deep into a season; that seems like a very frequent complaint.

With regards to me, personally, I don't think I'd have very much fun being absolute dead-weight in whatever 63 mapped to. I'd be a dumpster-fire. And, honestly, I don't find QP very useful for genuine practice. My opinion is that half (or more) of your opposition aren't even trying to win, I sure as fuck don't -- I do QP for 10 minutes to warm up mechanical skills.

The only complaint I can see is someone super salty about having a bad streak through the placement period and ending up lower than they perceive they ought to be... but, shrug, smash weaker players for a bit and it should work itself out?

Ravishing

Uninspiring Title
<Bronze Donator>
Question: are you sure they don't do some form of soft reset?

I don't understand your argument against having an increased delta every few months. Either you've improved and this quickly gets you higher rank and harder games, or you've diminished and this gets you lower rank and easier games. People with a large quantity of games played tend to end up gaining/losing very minimal amount of points deep into a season; that seems like a very frequent complaint.

With regards to me, personally, I don't think I'd have very much fun being absolute dead-weight in whatever 63 mapped to. I'd be a dumpster-fire. And, honestly, I don't find QP very useful for genuine practice. My opinion is that half (or more) of your opposition aren't even trying to win, I sure as fuck don't -- I do QP for 10 minutes to warm up mechanical skills.

The only complaint I can see is someone super salty about having a bad streak through the placement period and ending up lower than they perceive they ought to be... but, shrug, smash weaker players for a bit and it should work itself out?

Wasn't 60s equiv to Plat? I honestly can't remember, I thought I was 60ish the 1st month too, could be wrong.
My argument is that placements don't mean much at all, that's it.
Maybe they do a "reset" of some sort, but you see people losing 10 and still getting placed Masters and crap, so seems like it's not too drastic.

StoiCynic

Trakanon Raider
My s3 high was 2505, ended around 2100.

I played my heart out, had some of my best games and went 8-2 for s4 placements and get placed in the high 1800's. Every one I know personally was placed lower to varying degrees.

On console fwiw

Araxen

Golden Baronet of the Realm
It seems it is like Hearthstone. They bump you back a few points at the start of the new season and placements don't matter at all. Well Hearthstone doesn't have placements and neither should OW after you do the initial 10 when you just start out in Comp.