Spring 2024 Anime Thread

Leon

<Silver Donator>
I smashed through the first 10 dubbed episodes.

Anything else you guys would recommend while I wait for these to drip out? Sounds like Windbreaker is worth a watch?
Windbreaker is worth a watch, but I swear to god if you keep watching shit dubbed ....

You want trans children? This is how you get trans children. Stop it.

• 3Worf
Reactions: 2 users

Tmac

Adventurer
<Gold Donor>
Windbreaker is worth a watch, but I swear to god if you keep watching shit dubbed ....

You want trans children? This is how you get trans children. Stop it.

On episode 2 of Windbreaker. I hate this Holden Caulfield emo high school shit.

Guurn

<Bronze Donator>
Yeah, you might not like it. I think he's genuinely confused that people exist that help each other. He slowly picks stuff up as the series progresses. Mostly he's just confused though and sort of emo about it.

Denamian

Night Janitor
<Nazi Janitors>
On episode 2 of Windbreaker. I hate this Holden Caulfield emo high school shit.

If you're not into it by episode 3, drop it. You've got tons of backlog to go through.

What have you watched at this point? Of those what have you liked and what kinds of shows are you interested in?

Demon Slayer is fantastic if you're looking for god tier animation. The story is ok, but the art and animation are phenomenal.
One Punch Man is an excellent action/comedy parody of overpowered hero anime. A different studio did season 2 and there was a drop in animation quality, but it's still really good.

Zindan

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
So is Irregular of High School an incest meme show? The sister went all emo when she found out some other guy was the result of incest and his illness was due to that.

Khane

Got something right about marriage
The only show I started to watch that was more full on weird Japanese sibling incest was No Game No Life

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Tmac

Adventurer
<Gold Donor>
If you're not into it by episode 3, drop it. You've got tons of backlog to go through.

What have you watched at this point? Of those what have you liked and what kinds of shows are you interested in?

Demon Slayer is fantastic if you're looking for god tier animation. The story is ok, but the art and animation are phenomenal.
One Punch Man is an excellent action/comedy parody of overpowered hero anime. A different studio did season 2 and there was a drop in animation quality, but it's still really good.

Jujitsu Kaisen, Chainsaw Man, Kaiju No. 8 and just starting Solo Leveling, which is a lil corny but enough action to keep it moving.

I don’t like Demon Slayer bc of all the fkn internal monologue describing every action that happens on screen. Got on my last nerve.

I also downloaded 3 episodes of “That Time I Got Reincarnated as a Slime”.

Yeah, I stopped watching WIND BREAKER after 2.5 episodes and figured it just wasn’t for me. I def don’t have the energy to slog through anime.

Denamian

Night Janitor
<Nazi Janitors>
Jujitsu Kaisen, Chainsaw Man, Kaiju No. 8 and just starting Solo Leveling, which is a lil corny but enough action to keep it moving.

I don’t like Demon Slayer bc of all the fkn internal monologue describing every action that happens on screen. Got on my last nerve.

Yeah, I stopped watching WIND BREAKER after 2.5 episodes and figured it just wasn’t for me. I def don’t have the energy to slog through anime.

I'd put Fate Zero followed by Fate Stay/Night Unlimited Blade Works on your list. Same studio as Demon Slayer but older and not as nice looking, though UBW's nickname of Unlimited Budget Works is well deserved. Zero was an anime prequel to Stay/Night and actually has adult characters, which is always a nice change. If you like those, the 3 Heaven's Feel movie are a good follow up, as they're an alternate route from the game Stay/Night comes from.

I dropped Slime after the first season. It started out good, but it became tedious, the MC overpowered and I lost interest.

86 is excellent military scifi, well animated with a great soundtrack. Also depressing as fuck.

If You want to try getting in to Gundam, the original series is old and the animation doesn't hold up at all, but the story is still good. There is a 3 movie compilation of the original show, but Crunchyroll doesn't have it. Otherwise, try The Origin, which was a 6 OVA series that got redone as a 13 episode series called Advent of the Red Comet. Crunchyroll has both versions. It's a prequel to the original series that goes through the origin of the main antagonist of the original show. For main timeline (Universal Century) Gundam shows, Gundam Unicorn is also a good entry point. If you want to try an alternate universe Gundam, Iron Blooded Orphans is an excellent standalone series.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Tmac

Adventurer
<Gold Donor>
I'd put Fate Zero followed by Fate Stay/Night Unlimited Blade Works on your list. Same studio as Demon Slayer but older and not as nice looking, though UBW's nickname of Unlimited Budget Works is well deserved. Zero was an anime prequel to Stay/Night and actually has adult characters, which is always a nice change. If you like those, the 3 Heaven's Feel movie are a good follow up, as they're an alternate route from the game Stay/Night comes from.

I dropped Slime after the first season. It started out good, but it became tedious, the MC overpowered and I lost interest.

86 is excellent military scifi, well animated with a great soundtrack. Also depressing as fuck.

If You want to try getting in to Gundam, the original series is old and the animation doesn't hold up at all, but the story is still good. There is a 3 movie compilation of the original show, but Crunchyroll doesn't have it. Otherwise, try The Origin, which was a 6 OVA series that god redone as a 13 episode series called Advent of the Red Comet. Crunchyroll has both versions. It's a prequel to the original series that goes through the origin of the main antagonist of the original show. For main timeline (Universal Century) Gundam shows, Gundam Unicorn is also a good entry point. If you want to try an alternate universe Gundam, Iron Blooded Orphans is an excellent standalone series.

I just downloaded the rest of the Solo Leveling series, so looking forward to see where it goes.

I was actually considering Iron Blooded Orphans, so I'ma add that to the list.

I'm pretty ADD so if the illustration doesn't hold up, I have a hard time staying engaged, so Fate Zero might not hold me unfortunately. That's the one you said didn't look as good as Demon Slayer or the other two you mentioned?

• 1Like

Denamian

Night Janitor
<Nazi Janitors>
I just downloaded the rest of the Solo Leveling series, so looking forward to see where it goes.

I was actually considering Iron Blooded Orphans, so I'ma add that to the list.

I'm pretty ADD so if the illustration doesn't hold up, I have a hard time staying engaged, so Fate Zero might not hold me unfortunately. That's the one you said didn't look as good as Demon Slayer or the other two you mentioned?

Fate Zero still looks very good, Demon Slayer is just another tier beyond. The first episode is long and mostly talk and setup for the rest of the show, but it's still excellent. Iskander is the anime King of Bros.

Crunchyroll also has Ghost Stories, which is a crappy show that got completely rewritten by an insane dubbing crew. They went completely nuts and it's fucking hilarious.

• 1Like

zzeris

King Turd of Shit Hill
<Gold Donor>
Anything newish on par with Jujutsu-Kaisen and Chainsaw Man that I should look into?

I'm also a big fan of Miyizaki and American anime like Avatar: The Last Airbender and Arcane.

Impossible shoes to fill with Miyazaki but Pluto on Netflix is probably the closest to some of his work if you haven't watched yet. Ninja Kamui was good, bloody, and violent. You should definitely watch Frieren if you haven't yet. Best anime in quite a while.

Thanks to whoever mentioned appraisal anime. It was very good. I have a few straggler series I haven't gotten far in that I need to finish but this season was full of so much good stuff.

• 1Like

Xarpolis

Life's a Dream

If you're liking the action stuff, One-Punch Man is good stuff and so is Re: Zero.

• 1Like

Xarpolis

Life's a Dream

If You want to try getting in to Gundam, the original series is old and the animation doesn't hold up at all, but the story is still good. There is a 3 movie compilation of the original show, but Crunchyroll doesn't have it. Otherwise, try The Origin, which was a 6 OVA series that got redone as a 13 episode series called Advent of the Red Comet. Crunchyroll has both versions. It's a prequel to the original series that goes through the origin of the main antagonist of the original show. For main timeline (Universal Century) Gundam shows, Gundam Unicorn is also a good entry point. If you want to try an alternate universe Gundam, Iron Blooded Orphans is an excellent standalone series.
The Gundam that got me started with the genre was thanks to Cartoon Network's Toonami back in '00. It was Gundam Wing. I've loved it ever since then. Gundam Seed, Gundam Build Fighters, Witch from Mercury (the newest one), Iron Blooded Orphans, Gundam 08th MS Team. It's all good stuff.