Spring 2024 Anime Thread

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
I'm pretty ADD so if the illustration doesn't hold up, I have a hard time staying engaged, so Fate Zero might not hold me unfortunately. That's the one you said didn't look as good as Demon Slayer or the other two you mentioned?
Nothing looks as good as Demon Slayer because despite being completely peerless in the industry, Ufotable never stops to rest on their laurels and keeps aggressively pushing the envelope. Fate/Zero had some truly epic and memorable moments but Unlimited Blade Works sets a higher bar at the very beginning of the series and doesn't let up. They immediately dunk on themselves with the Heaven's Feel movies, in particular the finale of the third movie is where the "Unlimited Budget Works" meme truly came from. I figured that would reign supreme for years or even decades but then they almost immediately surpass themselves again with the finale of Demon Slayer S2 and then impossibly surpass themselves again in the finale of S3.

Fate/Zero still looks as good or better than anything coming out today despite being over a decade old, it simply isn't fair to compare any other studio to Ufotable.

• 1Solidarity
  • 1Like
Reactions: 1 users

Denamian

Night Janitor
<Nazi Janitors>
Nothing looks as good as Demon Slayer because despite being completely peerless in the industry, Ufotable never stops to rest on their laurels and keeps aggressively pushing the envelope. Fate/Zero had some truly epic and memorable moments but Unlimited Blade Works sets a higher bar at the very beginning of the series and doesn't let up. They immediately dunk on themselves with the Heaven's Feel movies, in particular the finale of the third movie is where the "Unlimited Budget Works" meme truly came from. I figured that would reign supreme for years or even decades but then they almost immediately surpass themselves again with the finale of Demon Slayer S2 and then impossibly surpass themselves again in the finale of S3.

Fate/Zero still looks as good or better than anything coming out today despite being over a decade old, it simply isn't fair to compare any other studio to Ufotable.

Hell, I have God Eater and Tales of Zestiria on my Plex server because Ufotable is just so damn good.

Xexx

Vyemm Raider
May be of a lesser opinion but i am quite fond of the animation changes that One Piece have gone through of late. Seems like since the Kaido battles started that they cranked the dial beyond 11 and have been trying to mimic the smoothness found in Ufotable.

Tmac

Adventurer
<Gold Donor>
If you're liking the action stuff, One-Punch Man is good stuff and so is Re: Zero.

I watched a couple eps of One-Punch Man and couldn't get into it, idk.

Anime hits a really specific niche with me. I don't like kid stuff, or high school stuff that focuses on drama, and it has to be fantasy-ish. I don't mind a kid in high school that is "growing" into something more, but if it's a dramatic social narrative about "climbing the social ranks" I can't stand it. Shit is way too autistic for me to enjoy. If the animation look like some UwU body pillow shit to me, I'm not going to touch it. So stuff like Re: Zero is a no go for me off the bat, just bc I don't like the animation. I gots specific taste apparently.

I like the "journey" stories and OPM being powerful af out the gate might've killed it for me. It wasn't bad, I just didn't enjoy it that much.

Last edited:

Tmac

Adventurer
<Gold Donor>
You sicken me.

Looks like I"m going to have to go subbed anyways to keep up with Kaiju No 8 releases. Dubbed is already two episodes behind.

GIF by FirstAndMonday

moonarchia

The Scientific Shitlord
Euphonium series ender was good. They got that HS graduation feeling on the nose. Memories of friends and events that were the front and center of your life for 3-4 years now becoming the past.

Tmac

Adventurer
<Gold Donor>
Windbreaker is worth a watch, but I swear to god if you keep watching shit dubbed ....

You want trans children? This is how you get trans children. Stop it.

Idk man, shows like WIND BREAKER seem like how you get trans kids. Shit is so autistic with the "nobody loves me" daddy issues and high school drama.

One of my friends brothers actually acted like that in HS and I couldn't stand being around him. I thought he was an outlier, but with all this autistic anime drama maybe he wasn't, lol. He would go on hand-wringing monologues about girls he was in love with, but never talked to and get super stressed out about it. It was bizzare. He also liked a bunch of early 2000's weeb stuff, so there ya go.

Tmac

Adventurer
<Gold Donor>

1719757666199.png

Teenybopper blonde protagonist in dress armor... I can't lol. It feels so weeby to me.

I'm trying to think of an anime with a strong female protagonist I enjoy, but I'm not coming up with anything. Oh, Akira or Ghost in the Shell? I like the way Studio Ghibli presents their female heroes a lot, but most other Japanese archetypes I just cannot get into.

Denamian

Night Janitor
<Nazi Janitors>
It feels so weeby to me.

Surprised Meme GIF

Give Zero a shot. Auturia (she's the summoned spirit of King Arthur) isn't really the protagonist. She's a tool of the actual protagonist. Unlike Stay/Night, Zero is adults except for 1 guy.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
OPM being powerful af out the gate might've killed it for me.
It's a parody, probably hard to really appreciate if you haven't watched much anime.

Teenybopper blonde protagonist in dress armor... I can't lol. It feels so weeby to me.
Bitch you better show some goddamn respect to King Arthur, teenybopper my fucking ass.

Secondly she isn't the protagonist. She gets featured a lot on box art because she's the mascot of the entire franchise but she's never been the protagonist of anything.

• 1Worf

Khane

Got something right about marriage
May be of a lesser opinion but i am quite fond of the animation changes that One Piece have gone through of late. Seems like since the Kaido battles started that they cranked the dial beyond 11 and have been trying to mimic the smoothness found in Ufotable.

The animation of gear 5 is some of the worst animation ever. It's the same as the phoned in garbage Naruto animation you'd get from time to time.

Khane

Got something right about marriage
Idk man, shows like WIND BREAKER seem like how you get trans kids. Shit is so autistic with the "nobody loves me" daddy issues and high school drama.

One of my friends brothers actually acted like that in HS and I couldn't stand being around him. I thought he was an outlier, but with all this autistic anime drama maybe he wasn't, lol. He would go on hand-wringing monologues about girls he was in love with, but never talked to and get super stressed out about it. It was bizzare. He also liked a bunch of early 2000's weeb stuff, so there ya go.

Huh? The protagonist in wind breaker is wary of everyone because he's never been able to trust anyone. And he lashes out by yelling and fighting. He doesn't sob like an incel...

He isn't emo, he's a rabid dog that slowly finds a bit of peace and trust and a place he belongs

• 1Like

Furry

WoW Office
<Gold Donor>
I watched one ep of windbreakers and decided it wasnt for me. When anime just gets too anime I just can't be bothered, especially if I have to wonder "What sort of fag would act like this?" constantly.

I think subaru broke me. I basically was like "FUCKING C'MON!!" as that mega dumbshit continued to just ratchet up the retard no matter what experiences he went through. Since then my tolerance has dropped dramatically.

• 1Like

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
The animation of gear 5 is some of the worst animation ever. It's the same as the phoned in garbage Naruto animation you'd get from time to time.
I don't agree about it being phoned in garbage like Naruto vs Tendo Pain but rather I think it was a deliberate choice meant to reflect the whimsical nature of Gear 5. Unfortunately it looks so fucking awful that it being a deliberate design decision is arguably even worse than it being cheap outsourced crap.

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
If You want to try getting in to Gundam, the original series is old and the animation doesn't hold up at all, but the story is still good. There is a 3 movie compilation of the original show, but Crunchyroll doesn't have it. Otherwise, try The Origin, which was a 6 OVA series that got redone as a 13 episode series called Advent of the Red Comet. Crunchyroll has both versions. It's a prequel to the original series that goes through the origin of the main antagonist of the original show. For main timeline (Universal Century) Gundam shows, Gundam Unicorn is also a good entry point. If you want to try an alternate universe Gundam, Iron Blooded Orphans is an excellent standalone series.
i think it'd be difficult for most ppl to get into gundam older than gundam seed, heck my nephew only really likes anything seed and beyond, this is the same nephew that goes to japan and fills his suitcase up w/ models.

does he know older gundam? he grew up playing w/ sazabi, alex, zz, 78, gp03, all the models i left in my old room (when he visited grandma), he says uc is too old, convoluted and hard to watch, the movies don't make sense and most of the other series are boring.

of course there are always standouts like 8th ms team

gundam seed i think is a good start off, 00, ironblood, thunderbolt for ppl

my wife hates sci fi and she really hates gundam, somehow she liked gundam build fighters, so theres a gundam for everyone

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
My main concern is how long they're gonna take to release each movie, the Heaven's Feel trilogy came out in just under 3 years total but that was a standalone story. I don't want to wait that long to finish Demon Slayer.

• 1Like

zzeris

King Turd of Shit Hill
<Gold Donor>
View attachment 534834

I'm trying to think of an anime with a strong female protagonist I enjoy, but I'm not coming up with anything. Oh, Akira or Ghost in the Shell? I like the way Studio Ghibli presents their female heroes a lot, but most other Japanese archetypes I just cannot get into.

I liked Claymore but it's obviously old at this point.

I'll have to put my vote behind Fate/Zero as well, but you should stop after that. The ones after it probably wouldn't be your type. Have you watched Attack on Titan yet? It gets fucked up but Season 1 is top tier. Ishura should be a perfect fit for you as well. Again, can't push Frieren enough on you.

Last edited:
  • 1Like

Furry

WoW Office
<Gold Donor>
I liked Claymore but it's obviously old at this point.

I'll have to put my vote behind Fate/Zero as well, but you should stop after that. The ones after it probably wouldn't be your type. Have you watched Attack on Titan yet? It gets fucked up but Season 1 is top tier. Ishura should be a perfect fit for you as well.
Ishura is absolute nonsense... but entertaining nonsense.

TBH I'm surprised nobody has suggested stuff like spider-chan or vivy. But if he's watching them dubbed, there's a very real chance you'd want to put your eyes out based on the main char's voices alone. I wouldn't know, dubbed is a war crime.

• 1Worf