Star Wars : Rogue One

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

TrollfaceDeux

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Bronze Donator>
After a second viewing, months later with fresh eyes, without the initial excitement and trepidation, I like it even more. Decent scifi movie judging without any Star Warsness or expectations, judging as a guy who has never seen this world before. Great direction, good characters, Forest Whitaker did not phone it in for once. All of the main players, Oberyn Martell, Jyn Erso, droid had some great lines, blind dude was my favorite. Main criticism is cgi Tarkin and Leia, still admirable how they pulled it off given current tech. It's the most adult and character driven Star Wars film to date. Solid 7/10. Jedha City destruction sequence was ace. Not sure if Rogue One or Force Awakens is better. Both are different, FA is traditional while Rogue One is more original even with its high nostalgic shit. The ending was fantastic.
Whut

Zapatta

Krugman's Fax Machine
<Gold Donor>
Man, if only it was Oberyn playing that character. He had zero charisma and I just thought of him as a little wiener the entire time

His French accent made me think he was about to surrender at any minute.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Qhue

Trump's Staff
Diego Luna does not have a French accent!! The man couldn't be more Mexican if he was hawking tamales from a truck. He's also one of my favorite characters from R1 simply because he is a good guy who does really bad things to get shit done.

Anyway re-watched it this weekend (so I could pause and finally see Chopper etc.) and the movie holds up, especially the third Act.

• 3Solidarity
Reactions: 2 users

Royal

Connoisseur of Exotic Pictures
He's also one of my favorite characters from R1 simply because he is a good guy who does really bad things to get shit done.

Another interesting thing about his character is he said he had been fighting in the Rebellion since he was six years old. If you make a rough guess at his age and math it back you realize he had fought in the original rebellion; with the Seperatists against the Republic. He literally was one of the bad guys, under the PT narrative.

• 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 user

Fadaar

That guy
Another interesting thing about his character is he said he had been fighting in the Rebellion since he was six years old. If you make a rough guess at his age and math it back you realize he had fought in the original rebellion; with the Seperatists against the Republic. He literally was one of the bad guys, under the PT narrative.

fuck

tim-and-eric-mind-blown.gif

• 1Solidarity

Caliane

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Sortof. Cassian was 26. Jyn was 22. in rogue1.
Cassian WAS a Separatist. But, the Galactic empire was formed in 19BBY.
So was 4yrs old during the clone wars. at 6 became a child soldier against the republic. at 7, the Republic became the Empire. So, you could also clearly point out, even 1 year prior the Republic had already themselves become the bad guys, as even Padme at that point had begun directly campaigning against the rampant military and conflict.

• 1Like

Qhue

Trump's Staff
That echoes one of the more interesting things about the prequel era that is often overlooked: How readily everyone accepted that the Separatists were 'bad' when fighting against the Clone Troopers and yet the Rebels fighting against Stormtroopers were 'good'.

Now obviously Palpatine was orchestrating the whole Separatist business and there were plenty of mustache twirling baddies in the Clone Wars era on the Confederate side, but you can easily see how entities that were on the losing side of the Clone Wars might be natural allies of the Republic. It also meant that Palpatine was super extra smart for creating the 'Phantom Menace' and drawing the rebellious elements out with the whole Clone Wars biz as it served to severely beat down the very elements most capable of resisting his oncoming Imperial Doctrine.

• 1Like

Fadaar

That guy
Clone Wars there really was no 'good' faction since Palpatine was ultimately the one pulling the strings on both sides. After the formation of the Galactic Empire though, you'd have to consider anyone fighting against Palpatine's regime to be the 'good' guys.

• 1Like

Royal

Clone Wars there really was no 'good' faction since Palpatine was ultimately the one pulling the strings on both sides.

In retrospect yes. There were the duped "good" guys (the Jedi/Republic) and the convenient pawns (systems with broad separatist sentiments that pre-dated the Clone War that Sidious was able to tap into for his purposes).

It's telling though that Cassian, even at the time of Rogue One, still viewed the Jedi as old enemies. It's not reflected particularly well in the movie (it's shown more in the novelization) but he viewed Chirrut with a great deal of suspicion because he went on so much about the force and displayed abilities beyond what he should have been capable of as a blind man.

• 1Like

Oldbased

> Than U
So thanks to TMobile Tuesdays, I was able to rent this for 99 cents HDX for 4 days.
I feel the CGI/Filming was on par with maybe prequels, obviously it was shorted in a few places budget wise but better than most movies.
The casting was semi horrible. This is where I felt the movie was lacking in many regards. Some of it was dialogue, some of it was casting choices and some of it was writing.
I felt the movie is an important part of the Star Wars story, but at the same time the writing is what did the most damage to it.
Compared to other movies it was good. Compared to Star Wars and what the fans deserve given the size of the IP I felt we were shorted.
My hope going forward is they do better in SW8 and the backstories than they did with Rogue One.

Sludig

Silver Baronet of the Realm
I'm sad i missed it in theatres even if i end up hating it. What's probably the cheapest non torrent option? I'm leery of blue ray because our older unit has had issues with a few super new movies like dead pool and the codec they use.

Wife is anti nerd so probably just watch on my computer anyway.

Miguex

The lad himself
<Gold Donor>
Bonus features were pretty great, enjoyed the perspective on each of the major players from multiple angles. Best Buy limited edition Steel Book is sold out in much of SoCal already from what I'm hearing, so if thats something you want, grab it quick.

• 1Like

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
Finally got around to watching this. I was right, this movie was shit. I did like Alan Tudyk and Donnie Yen though.

I do see why all the little callbacks to the originals would get the nerds sperging out, and I admit that brief Vader rampage was pretty cool, but not enough to save this abortion. I'm gonna rewatch the sequels to wash the stink of this movie out of my brain.

Ok I admit that bit about the sequels is trolling, Rogue One is at least slightly better than the prequels.

Last edited:

Royal

Prequel Trilogy: Ep 1 - Ep 3
Original Trilogy: Ep 4 - Ep 6
Sequel Trilogy: Ep 7 - Ep 9

Can we at least agree on the common nomenclature so when we shit on each other's opinions the spectators can know exactly what is being shat upon?

• 1Like