Zzen

Potato del Grande
...its not BAD.

39tpjg.jpg

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

j00t

Silver Baronet of the Realm
waititi does great with absurdist humor. the problem is that thor isn't an absurdist humor kind of character. i bet he'd make a great deadpool movie, for example.

i remember when ragnarok came out and everyone loved it, but me and a few others on this board were like, waititi doesn't know how to do anything that isn't an over the top comedy, and ragnarok was all the lesser for it. there were a lot of serious moments in that film that weren't allowed to breathe because waititi has to have a joke every 15 seconds, but so many people were just like, NO RAGNAROK IS GREAT BECAUSE IT'S FUNNY!

i used to have this personal mindset in life that it doesn't matter how mean you are as long as you are funny enough to make up for it. thing is, all you have to do is misjudge that distance just once and you go from being the really funny friend everyone likes to hang out with to being the jerk that no one has time for anymore. that's basically what just happened with waititi and his need to be funny around someone dying of cancer.

• 1Solidarity

pysek

It Didn't Happen, It Should've, and It Will.
<Gold Donor>
So Waititi is a one hit wonder?
Like most creatives the thing he needs most is a big hand to tell him no. And like most creatives the more successful they get the first thing they get rid of are those pesky fuckers telling them no. Case in point:

1658180011834.png

Juvarisx

Florida

Nah its a totally mediocre film under higher scrutiny. God Butcher needed a different director and a more serious tone closer to Infinity War, and the comic media critics cuckdom freaked out cause Jane died and didn't take over. There is a universe where this movie worked with James Mangold or someone like that directing it.

Anyways theres 3 (4?) worse MCU movies this phase alone and it was certainly better then films like Dark World, its just seen as worse then it is due to expectations like Multiverse of Madness was.

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
Nah its a totally mediocre film under higher scrutiny. God Butcher needed a different director and a more serious tone closer to Infinity War, and the comic media critics cuckdom freaked out cause Jane died and didn't take over. There is a universe where this movie worked with James Mangold or someone like that directing it.

Anyways theres 3 (4?) worse MCU movies this phase alone and it was certainly better then films like Dark World, its just seen as worse then it is due to expectations like Multiverse of Madness was.
basically, Dr Strange 2 and this were supposed to be the GOOD ones and they are just mediocre.

• 2Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 2 users

Juvarisx

Florida
basically, Dr Strange 2 and this were supposed to be the GOOD ones and they are just mediocre.

They have 2 more chances...well 3 if you like Namor (Black Panther 2). If both the Conqueror variant of Kang and Adam Warlock suck then I can't see any universe where I'd bother with any of them again even if the F4 movie is godly with a perfect version of Doom.

Drinsic

privileged excrementlord
waititi does great with absurdist humor. the problem is that thor isn't an absurdist humor kind of character. i bet he'd make a great deadpool movie, for example.

i remember when ragnarok came out and everyone loved it, but me and a few others on this board were like, waititi doesn't know how to do anything that isn't an over the top comedy, and ragnarok was all the lesser for it. there were a lot of serious moments in that film that weren't allowed to breathe because waititi has to have a joke every 15 seconds, but so many people were just like, NO RAGNAROK IS GREAT BECAUSE IT'S FUNNY!

i used to have this personal mindset in life that it doesn't matter how mean you are as long as you are funny enough to make up for it. thing is, all you have to do is misjudge that distance just once and you go from being the really funny friend everyone likes to hang out with to being the jerk that no one has time for anymore. that's basically what just happened with waititi and his need to be funny around someone dying of cancer.
The comedy in Ragnarok worked for the most part imo. It was one film, it was fun. This movie though? Talking about serious moments not being allowed to breathe is how this film felt in comparison to Ragnarok. That and turning the dumb-dial to 11 for Thor during the first half of the movie was painful to watch. Putting Gorr the God Butcher in a comedy was just jarring. Bale's scenes were all great, but then you'd immediately cut to slap stick, at least until the finale. Movie was meh, but definitely better than the atrocity that was Multiverse of Madness.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Mahes

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Are you saying he's Mexican?
No of course not. That actor comes from Hawaii with a German/Irish mix. However, if you played Jason Momoa as head of a Mexican cartel, his looks could pass enough for it.

He has a similar skin tone. That of course is funny since the Sun does not penetrate deep enough for a humanoid to activate or build up Melanin in the skin.

Tarrant

<Prior Amod>
This was......okay. 2nd best Thor movie for me, but I really disliked the first two so that may not be saying much.

I guess when I left, I wasn't mad I paid to see it. It had its moments. I'd go like a 6.5 or 7 out of 10.

• 1Like

Phazael

Confirmed Beta Shitlord, Fat Bastard
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
Step down from the last one, but not as bad as the edge lords are painting it.
Major issues for me boiled down to three things:
1) Not enough screen time for Bale- Dude was solid in the scenes they gave him, but he simply was not in enough of the movie.
2) Pacing issues- This is mostly due to the completely off tone and unneeded God Orgy World sequence that should have had more serious sequences of the trio searching and maybe the Godkiller working out his plan to get the Axe and why he needed it.
3) Tone issues- Just too much cringe humor in a movie where the serious moments Thor and Jane had , as well as the Godkillers exchanges, were actually good. It really detracted from the whole experience.

Girl power shit was eye rolling, but it was not as bad as it might have been. The Valkyrie bitch has become completely toxic in anything she is involved in, however. Portman at least put some effort in.

Flaws aside, the movie had a decent start and end, it just kind of lost its way in the middle. Swapping out that God World shit for something more serious combined with some basic edits would have made for a great movie.

• 5Like
Reactions: 4 users

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
Step down from the last one, but not as bad as the edge lords are painting it.
Major issues for me boiled down to three things:
1) Not enough screen time for Bale- Dude was solid in the scenes they gave him, but he simply was not in enough of the movie.
2) Pacing issues- This is mostly due to the completely off tone and unneeded God Orgy World sequence that should have had more serious sequences of the trio searching and maybe the Godkiller working out his plan to get the Axe and why he needed it.
3) Tone issues- Just too much cringe humor in a movie where the serious moments Thor and Jane had , as well as the Godkillers exchanges, were actually good. It really detracted from the whole experience.

Girl power shit was eye rolling, but it was not as bad as it might have been. The Valkyrie bitch has become completely toxic in anything she is involved in, however. Portman at least put some effort in.

Flaws aside, the movie had a decent start and end, it just kind of lost its way in the middle. Swapping out that God World shit for something more serious combined with some basic edits would have made for a great movie.
i do regret being harsh about NP, she did a good job and i forgot i like seeing her in movies, she just doesnt make a lot of movies i like. as you said, the ultimate blame for this film's failings are on the director and the stupid tone he set for the entire film and how it was edited. if they really wanted to they could edit a better version for video that we all would like. give Bale more time for his story arc to develop. cut that one scene where he acts like the wicked witch of the west with the kids and dont make a joke about everything. even Jane's cancer. man thats some wtf shit. oh and cut out that horrendous narration. my god that was all over the movie.

• 1Like

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
Watched it Friday… kept wishing I could fast forward the lame shit.

Same thing happens to me in theaters. At some point midway through the movie I'll think about reaching for the remote to pause it and see how much is left, just for a second, before remembering where I am.

Aychamo BanBan

<Banned>
i do regret being harsh about NP, she did a good job and i forgot i like seeing her in movies, she just doesnt make a lot of movies i like. as you said, the ultimate blame for this film's failings are on the director and the stupid tone he set for the entire film and how it was edited. if they really wanted to they could edit a better version for video that we all would like. give Bale more time for his story arc to develop. cut that one scene where he acts like the wicked witch of the west with the kids and dont make a joke about everything. even Jane's cancer. man thats some wtf shit. oh and cut out that horrendous narration. my god that was all over the movie.

OMG the narration was awful! Like some of the scenes from the trailer that I actually wanted to see were just glossed over with Taika talking through them.

Completely bizarre move.

• 1Like

Aldarion

Egg Nazi
Saw this with the kids.

The gay stuff wasnt as bad as expected. It really was two throw away scenes - a dumb conversation between blackvalkyrie and korg, then a dumb scene with korg and his new boyfriend. They didnt dwell on it nor did it matter at all. If gays were looking for "representation" in this movie they didnt get it in any meaningful way. Which is of course a good thing, fuck that degenerate shit.

Kind of a minor quibble, I wish this fucking director would stop bringing up orgies in every movie. Is that a conversation we really needed to have with our kids at 12?

Bale was great, the shadow magic stuff was visually cool, and the final fight on that tiny planet in black and white was a nice touch.

Out of all his scenes I thought the weakest was where he meets his god near the beginning, though. I mean shit, this is his character defining moment, the tone was so weird. Like it was a side quest moment instead of the main arc.

• 1Like
  • 1Salty
Reactions: 1 users

Fucker

Log Wizard
OMG the narration was awful! Like some of the scenes from the trailer that I actually wanted to see were just glossed over with Taika talking through them.

Completely bizarre move.
Bizarre and just plain bad.

Time to give the MCU a long rest.

• 1Salty
  • 1Like
Reactions: 1 users